Opinions on the 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtTroll

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the consensus on the 038 Magnum? Power, Reliability...the works.

Steve here...
I was going to get one for a friend of mine.. He opted for a new MS440.
I wasn't sure if you could still get parts for them... They command serious cash on Ebay for a nice one... To close in price to a good used 044
My 2 cents

ps neat looing saw though.. never got to run one. There is a super clean one on Ebay right now

I love mine.
Only two years old, so I hope to get many more years out of it.
I opened up the muffler, and it really sings now!

As said already - reliable, good torque, heavy. Old-type technology air filtration, minimal by todays standards, is the only (minor) drawback I could find on mine.

fosters is exported cause no one here drinks it vic bitter rocks,same brewery as fosters

The 038 was the saw I ran for the longest time for thinning. It was all we used till the 044s started coming out. Allways a favorite in my shed. I will admit Iwas happy to switch to the 044 when we did. But I will say the 038s never did us wrong when we used em.
Heres mine.

The 038 was the saw I ran for the longest time for thinning. It was all we used till the 044s started coming out. Allways a favorite in my shed. I will admit Iwas happy to switch to the 044 when we did. But I will say the 038s never did us wrong when we used em.
Heres mine.

I thought I read somewhere that the 066s made in Brazil were different than the USA made saws. Does anyone have any info on this? The one I have is Brazilizn made. It runs like a raped ape. Never had a problem with it.

066 Jungle

Ben
Steve here... A fella had them on Ebay 6 maybe 8 months ago. I bought mine from him outrite. I think he was down in the Miami area...

I am unsure what the deal is with these brazilian saws? are they brand new, but the design has been improved since they were released. and they also are extremely ported to get the fuel in and the exhaust out super fast?? because that sounds like an awesome tool to use. i bet it rips right outta the box.

Steve,
I read your post on the 066 from Brazil but Im intrested in the Brazilian made 038 that I have. I was wondering if anyone knew what the diffrences were between the 038s. I've stripped this one down and put it back together, and Im not sure visually of any real differences. Operationally it seems no different, Except that this one runs better than the last one I ran at work. This ones got some pretty serious snap. Tons of torque too.

And as for where I got this saw. I met a guy that was gonna get rid of it, so I bought it for cheap($75) and found a replacement fuel line to replace the one that had a pin-sized hole in it. Its run great since. I'm not sure where the guy I got it from but it hasnt had more than 100 hours on it.

I don't think there are any differences with the 038 saw made in Brazil other than the country that it is made in. Stihl either moved all the tooling to Brazil after production stopped in Germany or United States or always made the 038 in Brazil for the South American market.

Back