Opinions wanted on a Carlton SP2000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTUMPSERVICE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone thinks of these machines?

What do they sell for brand new?

What do these used units go for?

What brand teeth come on these stock?

Can you put green teeth on these machines?

Thanks.

Carlton makes good machines. I am sure it is well built. I can only answer one of your questions.
1. "What do you think of them?": If I had to grind stumps with one of those backbreakers, I would get out of the business all together. Probably effecient for stumps up to 6" or so. A backbreaker and time killer for anything larger than that. Save your money and get a real stumpgrinder. Carlton has some good self-propelled stump grinders with Kohler gas engines. These can be purchased used, at fairly reasonable prices, if you watch for them on Craigslist, ebay, etc.
My final opinion is: If someone gave me one of those brand new, I would not use it. I would sell it and get a real grinder.
Jeff

I think Carlton makes a good grinder. I agree with Jeff that they're a good grinder for small stumps or stumps in tight places. I think a new one sells for around $10,000. It comes with a standard cutter wheel that uses the 1/2" square teeth. Greenteeth can be put on the cutter wheel and I would recommend the 700 series and I keep these in stock in Atlanta, GA. I think it will be hard to find a used grinder as it's not a popular seller. Most of these machines are sold to the rental market. If you're looking for an everyday machine, I would step up to the SP4012.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-966-9056

I found one for $2500 with a trailer. Seems like a good deal for something I would use just for small stumps. It's a pain to bring my 7015 out for small stumps.

That might be a good addition to your fleet if its in good shape. If you have a field full of <10" stumps then it will work better then anything else. For getting into planter boxes or on decks, up hillsides and what not, they are great. $2500 to $3500 is what I charge for them. They will work you over though.

I passed on the sp2000 since the owner did not know how many hours were on the machine and it was a long 8 hour drive to pickup. I ended up going with another alpine magnum for the small stumps and hard to reach stumps.

AAA, i thought you were hanging the stump grinding gig up? What changed ur mind?

Stumper63

I started a stump grinding side business to make a few extra bucks. I went through the learning curve (which was a expensive one) and I bought a few different style machines (252, alpine, and now 7015) and was doing really good. Had some $1000+ days and was really happy doing this on the side. It was working.

Then I received a big promotion at my full time job and I am making GREAT money. So I have been wrapped up with this job for the last year plus. I decided to sell all my equipment and saws and as I was doing so I backed out. It was the combination of not being happy with my new job and missing working outside for myself with friends and family.

I have the knowledge about the business now and the money to fund it so I am going to set myself up with the best stump grinding company I can. I work nights so I will start up the business again and get things rolling. Once its justifiable to leave my full time job I will. This might be a few years but that's okay.

It's funny I was alway like i would do anything for $$$$$$$$$ but I have it now and I'm not happy. I would gladly make less and be happy. Hopefully I can do this the smart way and transition into a full time stump grinding business in a few years and not take too big of a pay cut.

That was a long answer....I guess I just miss working for myself and miss working outside.

Latest posts

Back