Orange v Grey Stihl: whats the diff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123Michael

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between orange case stihls and grey case stihl. I am from australia where most seem to be orange case. Whereas most pics from US seem to be grey case.

any clues?

Grey?

I must live in a cave or something because the only grey Stihl I have ever seen is an 009. Even the "home owner crap" is predominantly orange and white and of course a little black thrown in here and there. Most of them even have more orange than the "pro saws". I would like to see a pic of a grey 029 or 039 that would make my day.

Brain,
I can trash a chain in 2 seconds and the whole saw in 7 seconds. Im working on getting the 7 seconds down though...
Rick/Creep

Sorry, let me clarify again...

When researching the 011 i came across pics of orange 011 and grey/white 011.

When i went to buy a gasket for one, the stihl head office said, we have them for grey 011, but not orange 011.

Its not to do with the german made factor is it? i have heard some are made in germany others in brazil??

It's an age difference. Old 009/011/012 and 015 saws were all orange. Newer ones are gray or white/black. I have an orange 011.

Makita tools used to be orange too, before they turned blue as we know them now. I guess it's not a popular color now.

in the past ive seen that in 015 an 020 avs... if im not mistaken i believe i owned an rear handled 015 and an top handled.
who ever built these saws had a reason for it ,but like so many of us ,may have passed from the decision making picture...to me its all just saws,, and the proof is ultimately,, in the pudding.
saws an pudding,,hmm ive accomplished the impossible,,mabe:)

Back