Ordered my PPE tonight...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After spending a lot of time reading old threads on PPE, I decided to order the Labonville Competition chaps, and since I was already paying the shipping, I got a Gripo hard hat/muffs/face shield combo from Labonville too.

There wasn't much feedback on AS about the Gripo hard hat, should I have gone for something else?

I figured the Labonville chaps were the way to go, and after seeing THIS VIDEO I decided that I wanted full wrap calves. The way the chain pulled the chaps to the side in the video made me wonder if the saw could run off the edge of the half wrap chaps in a shin hit. Also I saw a couple of pictures of pants that had been cut in the calf area, so I figured the full wrap was well worth the extra $9 in my size. I ended up paying another $8 on top of that for the 10 layer Competition model. After all, more protection is better, and it was only $8 more than the six layer. Total for everything including shipping was less than $110 after the 10% discount.

Last edited:
I've got the "non" competition version. I like them. Comfortable, more flexible than I expected, and they have dirtied up nicely. I almost look like I know what I'm doing. Like a real pro, almost.

Remember, two legs are better than one.

Mark

I've got the "non" competition version. I like them. Comfortable, more flexible than I expected, and they have dirtied up nicely. I almost look like I know what I'm doing. Like a real pro, almost.

Remember, two legs are better than one.

Mark

Yup, two legs are good, one leg less good...........

Congratulations on ordering PPE. I actually haven't been using my chaps... I need to change that habit!

Keep those chaps clean...........if the get too dirty the kevlar strands won't function properly in the event of a cut. Better to look a little geeky with two good legs than cool with one! Just throw them in the washing machine and they come out like new. Nice purchase........always fun to get new gear.

Well, I should know how nice that hard hat is by the weekend. Despite the Competition chaps being denoted as 'special order' on the web site, they shipped my order yesterday and the truck is already headed for UPS's Ohio hub.

I was hoping that if I ordered a common size (36" long) in orange that they might have the chaps in stock. I suspect if I wanted 48" green I'd still be waiting to have them made.

You will love them, I have the green full wraps and I couldn't be happier.
The service at Labonville is very fast.
Safe cutting!

here i thought the ppe meant EMS equipment we use with me being in ems we use this term every time called medical gloves sheild face gown slippers head cap goggles i only had to wear full outfit one time in the 20 plus years of being in EMS field

all the other times was just gloves
but i guess PPE can be meant for many other trades

im glad to know you use the protective equipment everyone needs too use them

calvin

Last edited:
Got my Labonville order. I thought the chaps would be hunter orange, but they are more like Dolmar orange. The hat and muffs are more of a safety orange color, so they don't match the chaps.

Put the chaps on over my shorts for a few minutes inside, and they got hot pretty fast. I don't think the stiffness or weight of the 10 layer competition chaps is bothersome, and I bet the 6 layer would have been just as hot. The chaps fit fine, and don't gap at the knee so I won't be adding a extra strap at the knee like some forum members have done. Once adjusted, it takes me about a minute and a half to put them on.

The Gripo hat adjusts down to my size 6 3/4 head ok. The muffs seal well and seem comparable to my 30db Peltor Ultimate 10 shooting muffs. The face shield doesn't blur my vision noticeably, but it does darken things a bit. I was surprised at how far above my head the suspension holds the hat, but it seems to stay put. I haven't handled the other brands of combination hats, so I can't draw comparisons, but I think this one's a good buy for $25.

Couldn't find my steel toed boots, then I remembered giving them to a nephew when he got his first factory job 15 years ago. Is it possible to get real boots these days without paying $200 for Red Wings? I feel silly wearing hiking boots with superduty chaps.

hays have to sit some distance above your head as they are required to protect from a 1kg spike falling from a height of 3 metres or something - the spike mustn't touch your skull.

Glad to see your finally getting the PPE :clap: now you just gotta make sure you wear it. Yes chaps/pants are some hot mother f:censored:kers in the summer, but a little heat sure as hell beats the alternative. With any luck you will never need them and when your 80 years old and still walking around on both legs you can say what a waste of money it was to buy them, and how hot those MF'rs have been all these years, but just in case you better keep them on.

Couldn't find my steel toed boots, then I remembered giving them to a nephew when he got his first factory job 15 years ago. Is it possible to get real boots these days without paying $200 for Red Wings? I feel silly wearing hiking boots with superduty chaps.

Check into some Carolina Boots I really like them well made and somewhat cheaper (in price only) than a lot of the others. ;)

Check into some Carolina Boots I really like them well made and somewhat cheaper (in price only) than a lot of the others. ;)

Dittos on the Carolinas. They're the most comfortable steel toed boot that I have ever worn and have been working in steel toed boots sinc 1976. They don't last me as long as Red Wings but they sure feel a lot better.

Danny

The Gripo hat adjusts down to my size 6 3/4 head ok. The muffs seal well and seem comparable to my 30db Peltor Ultimate 10 shooting muffs. The face shield doesn't blur my vision noticeably, but it does darken things a bit. I was surprised at how far above my head the suspension holds the hat, but it seems to stay put. I haven't handled the other brands of combination hats, so I can't draw comparisons, but I think this one's a good buy for $25.

From the pic of the helmet combo the muffs look very similar to the Peltor 10 series muffs (my favorite of any muffs I've tried) which is interesting. Must be knockoffs for that price, but it may mean the Pelton replalcement foam sets might fit which makes muffs work like new again.

From the pic (might be the photo) I would say I prefer a little more brim in front for a little better protection, but that does seem like a great deal. My current helmet setup is the peltor lumberjack with Peltor 10 series muffs swapped in instead of the muffs it came with (big improvement).

Occasionally I even put on the rear rain shield. It works pretty well but gets me with a fair bit of teasing about the way it looks.

Last edited:
Gripo headgear

The Gripo muffs are similar in shape to the Ultimate 10, but much more cheaply constructed. I don't think the outer seal could be interchanged, but you could stuff the Peltor interior foam into the Gripo housings. It appears that the wire diameter is similar, so you could shove the Peltors onto the Gripo wires. In comparing the construction of the Ultimate 10 and the Gripo, I'm surprised they carry the same 30db NRR. The muffs say "GRIPO ANSI S3.19" on them.

The Gripo set came in a box marked "made in Taiwan", my five year old Peltor muffs say "Made in Sweden, assembled in USA".

The bill on the hat is about 1 5/8" in the center. The screen adds about 3/8" to that. I can see it, but it's a strain for me to look up that high (and my glasses end before the frame on the screen starts), so I don't think it interferes with overhead vision much. If I'm watching for falling branches I'll have to crane my neck and look up, with or without the hat. The hat sticks out farther than my nose, so I guess I'm more or less protected.

They don't last me as long as Red Wings but they sure feel a lot better.

Danny

Do you use the domestic or imported Carolinas?

I can't speak for Danny but I try to buy domestic when ever possible (with everything)

This is the boot I wear to work and have for a few years now. They were made here in the US when I bought them but they have moved production of this boot overseas now :bang: so when (if :laugh:) I wear these out I will be looking to switch to something made here.

I have a pair of red wings that I hate, not near as comfortable as my Carolinas, so I wind up wearing them about 1/2 as much and they are already pretty well broken down.

Like everyone else Carolina makes some high quality stuff for those of us who look for it, and some stuff for the general public who only wants it cheap.

Danny if your Carolinas are not lasting at least as long (mine go much longer) as your Red Wings you might want to go to their web site and see where your boots were made. My Carolinas are damn near indestructible and by far the most comfortable boots I've found for the money.

Taxman, These are still made in the United States, and you can get them pretty Reasonable

I am starting to think about a set of new boots, but the problem I have is my achilles tendons are a bit trashed and most boots have a slight horizontal seam across the back insde (about 3 inches up). It's just enough to cause my tendons grief.

My fairly old redwings don't have the problem, but when I went to the redwing store to look at new ones I didn't like them as well as my older ones.

I am willing to spend what I have to to get a boot that works on my feet, but I am having a hard time finding places that carry good boots locally so I can try them on. Mail order is out of the question for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back