Oregon 109179 sharpener hydraulic assist problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimark1009

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guy's,

I have a Small engine Repair shop i do on the side, I recently bought a used Oregon 109179 chain sharpener with the hydraulic assist, after many people asked if i sharpen chains.

The sharpener works good, can sharpen chains pretty decent, here's the only problem....

the hydraulic assist for the chain vise refuses to operate.

I have the manual, I have followed the instructions on filling it with jack oil, and purging the air.

I cannot get this dumb thing to push the little plunger out to close the chain vise.

I have refilled it several times and bled it, still nothing. all the fittings are tight .

has anyone else had problem with this?

if so, what did you do?

thanks,

Mark

Mine works, but barely enough to hold the chain. I've bled the system too.

Seem to remember refilling by using one of those 20CC medical type syringes helped a bit too.

Sorry I can't help more.

I have taken apart the "plunger mechanism" that closes the chain vise. all thats in there is a piston with an O-ring on the end of it.

I called Oregon to see if they has repair parts for this mechanism, they dont.

you have to buy the whole assembly. I replaced the O-ring with a hardware store one, but it seems a little too snug and it hangs up in the body.

the thought crossed my mind to sell this one and buy one with a manual chain clamp.

I'll see how I make out.

I have been going back and forth about which grinder to get, I was leaning toward the Oregon with Hydraulic, but know I am not sure. I have it narrowed down to 511AX, Oregon w/hydraulic, or Speed Sharp Star.

After seeing some threads about leaking, not clamping right, etc. I may just end up getting a non-hydraulic one. Would just have to decide between Oregon or Speed Sharp.

If I were to do it over again, I'd of gotten one without the hydraulic assist. I bought it used for 50.00 dollars though, it;s in good shape.

I have an EFCO sharpener without a hydraulic assist and I like that one just fine.

The hydraulic assist kinda scared me at first because if it doesn't work, the sharpener doesn't work and seeing some of the comments in here, I seems like my fears are true with others.

Can I assume that the 511AX is the same as the hydraulic assist sharpener except that the 511AX doesn't have the assist? I can't see any other differences. Looking to get a sharpener and need some advise.

Thanks

i am hoping the 510A vise 534477 will replace my hydraulic vise on the 109179.
Anyone already tried this?

Latest posts

Back