Oregon 511ax vs. 109179 chain grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the 511A I use a new chain (or one with equal length cutters), to center the chain. Set the vise at 30* right; adjust the 'dog' so that the grinding wheel just touches the front edge of the tooth. Rotate the vise to 30* left; see where the grinding wheel touches the front edge. Adjust the screw and lock nut until they are equal.

Note that this setting might need to be readjusted as the diameter of the grinding wheel changes with wear.

The 511AX is supposed to be self-adjusting.

Philbert

Tecomec makes most of these high-end, affordable sharpeners. The Speed Sharp has an hydraulic assist that my Oregon 511a does not. Regardless, I can use both of them equally effectively.

I kind of wish t hat I has a 7/32" thick disk for sharpening .325" pitch full-height chain. Seems like 3/16" is too thick and 1/8" is too thin for .325" pitch common chain. Just MHO. Any suggestions?

The resolution of these grinders from one tooth to the next is about .010". So you are never going to get a chain with all the cutters exactly equal left to right.

Measure the next new chain you get and see how close the cutters are in length?

The resolution of these grinders from one tooth to the next is about .010". So you are never going to get a chain with all the cutters exactly equal left to right.

Measure the next new chain you get and see how close the cutters are in length?
Thanks for the replys so far I looked at a downloadable manual and it said to put a straight edge in the vice and bring the wheel down and the straight edge should intersect right in the center of the arbor which makes sense however this grinder is not even capable if making that happen unless I shimmed the motor forward or machine the vise where the rails mount hopefully this makes sense

Sorry it's a nt grinder I cleaned and filed the moving parts and lapped the vice everything moves nice and smooth just a tiny bit of play at the motor pivot arm where the shaft goes thru not sure how you could ever fix that unless you took the pin out drilled the castings an put bushings in there

Back