Oregon 554532 Tripod Grinder Stand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I like to grind chains outside to keep dust and sparks out of my basement shop. I sometimes also take a grinder along to different work locations. I have tried a few portable mounting ideas over the years, and when I found a good deal on this stand, finally decided to try it; something I had avoided, due to the cost (previous versions sold for a lot more), and because I was not sure about its stability.

Screen shot 2020-12-13 at 11.01.28 PM.pngOregon Grinder Stand.jpg

I was impressed how sturdy the stand was, once nuts and bolts were tightened up, and how convenient and easy it is to set up and move. It is also height adjustable. I have used it with a few Oregon 511A style grinders, along with some mini-grinders ('clone' and HF grinder shown). It is really convenient for portable grinder use, and even to move a grinder around a shop for space, access, temporary use, etc.

IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0288.jpg

The stand's top plate has mounting slots, to accommodate a range of grinders, and adjusts from about 42 to 53 inches high (I read one review where a user drilled additional holes in the main tube to work at a lower height). It can break down for storage or transport, to slightly over 24 inches long, by just removing a few bolts, and weighs under 12 pounds.

Philbert

Initial Uses
The stand is pretty simple: the pictograph assembly instructions actually make it seem more complicated than it really is. Most grinders will bolt directly to the top plate through their standard mounting holes, and height adjustment involves removal and replacement of two bolts through pre-drilled holes in the main tube.

IMG_0289.jpg

One issue not addressed in the orientation of the grinder on the stand: it is possible to mount the grinder facing the third leg of the tripod base, or facing the space between the other two legs. The stand felt stable operating both standard-size and mini-grinders in both orientations on concrete. I measured the distance from the center tube to the third leg at approximately 16-1/2 inches, and the distance to a line drawn between the other two legs as approximately 8-1/2 inches. So, one orientation could be more stable with some types of grinders.

IMG_0820.jpg

Philbert

Philbert's Mods
I did a few modifications / improvements for my portable use with multiple grinders: most of these would not matter if the stand is used with a single grinder in a shop:

(1) I replaced the standard, hex head bolts provided for mounting the grinder with the same socket head bolts used to assemble the stand, and wing nuts, so that I only have one hex / Allen key to keep track of;
IMG_0282.jpg

(2) I attached a small, zippered, nylon pouch to the post to hold the bolts, washers, spacers, spare hex wrench, etc., during storage and transport;
IMG_0287.jpg

(3) I repurposed a nylon storage bag from a folding camping chair to use as a case for the 3, main parts of this stand when broken down for storage or transport;
IMG_0816.jpg

(4) I beveled off the corners of the stand's top plate, for the way that I use my grinders (see below);
IMG_0741.jpg

(5) I plan to plug the hollow tripod legs so that they don't fill up, or sink in, when set up on dirt, sand, etc.

Philbert

Use With Portable Bases

The instructions with most chainsaw grinders say to bolt them securely to the work surface. That can be difficult in a small shop, where space is limited, and when the grinder is used only periodically, or infrequently. It also does not lend itself to use at multiple locations, or when different grinders are used interchangeably.

So, I have most of my grinders mounted on plywood bases, which can be securely clamped to suitable work surfaces, and easily moved. These bases interfered with mounting the grinders on this Oregon stand, and rather than removing and replacing the bases each time (I might use the grinders without the stand in some situations), I drilled auxiliary holes in each base to mount the grinders to the stand, with the bases attached.
IMG_0513.jpg IMG_0512.jpg

This resulted in the grinders being set back about an inch and a half, which meant that the chains could hit the stand if grinding at 35°. So, I beveled the corners of the stand's top plate for chain clearance.
IMG_0748.jpg

Again, this is not needed for any of my conventional grinders if mounted directly onto the stand, and not an issue for most users. However, clearance could be an issue if the stand is used with an unusual grinder, or in some other, creative way.

Philbert

Alternatives . . .
As noted, I have used portable bases clamped to work surfaces for many years. This works, but depends on the availability of suitable surfaces (picnic tables, tailgates, trailer beds, etc.) near access to power, and offers little in the way of grinder height adjustment. I have also worked off brackets affixed to work trailers for mounting grinders.

Some members may remember my stepladder mount, which is very stable, reasonably portable, and offers height adjustment in one-foot increments. Although, I have a 'dedicated' yard sale stepladder at home for this use, the 'no-drill' design of was based on the wide availability of stepladders at many work locations. If I need to bring a stand, this Oregon model is much more compact and convenient.
Grinder on Ladder2.jpg Grinder on Ladder3.jpg

Philbert

we used a old steel wheel with a section of pipe welded to it as the base for a stand, a second section of pipe with smaller id was used that slides into the stand that a top plate is welded onto with four oval holes cut into it allowed several tools to interchange being mounted to it as needed. this was the portable version the less portable version had a tire mounted on the rim filled with concrete that the huge vice we used lived on.

the less portable version had a tire mounted on the rim filled with concrete that the huge vice we used lived on.
'Portable' means different things to different people, in different situations!

For me, it means tossing it in my hatchback, or placing it in a roof top box, along with saws, PPE, gear, food/water, etc. Maybe running the grinder off a portable generator.

Philbert

The stand's top plate . . . adjusts from about 42 to 53 inches high (I read one review where a user drilled additional holes in the main tube to work at a lower height).
IMG_0875.jpg
Follow up to the comment above.

By removing the extension tube and coupling, it is possible to set the stand up as low as 35 inches, without drilling any holes. This would be a comfortable, seated height for many people (depending somewhat on the user, chair, and specific grinder combination).

Philbert

I have a roll with a file guide, depth gauge, files in common chainsaw file sizes, flat file, and file handle. Since i don't use a stump vice it could fit in my pocket, so it's portable. First time a friend dulled their chain in the middle of nowhere I realized how handy a file set is. First GTG I realized how handy an extra flat file is (why people don't have them is a mystery...).

Back