Oregon 7/32" Silicon Carbide Grinding Stone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFPace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted this on the chainsaw forum too. 'Sorry if I messed up Mr. Moderator. :)

Are there any of you guys using these carbide stones to sharpen your chains.

To be clear this is the bit that is used on the 12VDC hand held grinder. It looks like a Dremel tool.

I use the regular aluminum oxide stone and they don't hold up well at all.

The $19.95/stone is holding me back.

What say you?

Tom

I'm not experienced with your hand held chain grinder, but I have worked with silicon carbide grinding wheels in a shop environment. It is normally only used for grinding carbide. It'll grind steel, too, but there is no advantage to doing so.

I posted this on the chainsaw forum too. 'Sorry if I messed up Mr. Moderator. :)

Are there any of you guys using these carbide stones to sharpen your chains.

To be clear this is the bit that is used on the 12VDC hand held grinder. It looks like a Dremel tool.

I use the regular aluminum oxide stone and they don't hold up well at all.

The $19.95/stone is holding me back.

What say you?

Tom

ok here it is in a nutshell. silicone carbide stones are used for sharpening carbides and non ferrous materials such as brass copper etc. Aluminum oxide is for steel and alloys. Spending money on silicone carbide to sharpen steel chain is a waste of money and you will put more heat in the tooth while sharpening because that stone won't cut proper. it's purpose is to sharpen the carbide chains you can get.

The small carbide stones would be great for professional work, but the price is off the chart. There is no economy in buying them if you are only an average user and sharpener.

I generally can sharpen 10 chains with a typical stone that costs a buck or so before I throw it away. I have a 12-volt Grandberg that I now only use out in the field. I use an Oregon 511A disk grinder in the shop.

Back