Oregon chain is cr@p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not ta be a smartass, but welcome to the Oregon chain haters club!!!

Stihl RM or RMC made here in the USofA is the stuff, dunno what is goin' on elsewhere with Stihl chain, as the gang down under find it less durable than Carlton chain which is also Bailys chain.

[snip]
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

So your RM is made in the US ?
Ours comes from the land of Cuckoo Clocks, yodelling and discreet banking.
Interesting.

It's not just the materials and heat-treat on the cutters that gives Oregon chain a low popularity.

To me it just seems to never stop stretching.

It seems that you have to match a old/wore out rim/sprocket with well run Oregon chain, as a good rim seems to hop a lot on well used Oregon chain.

Carlton and Stihl chain never seems to have a problem meshing with good rim sprockets throughout there life.

Ah, so that's why Oregon makes SL chain!

Those tabs on the drive links aren't there to prevent kickback--they're there to prevent the cutters from ever touching wood and getting dull!
:hmm3grin2orange:

PPine

Not as smooth and not as easy to sharpen as stihl or oregon but tough and cheap. If your gonna cut in the dirt give carlton or woodland pro semichisel a try its the way to go, will way out last oregon and is cheaper!
:cheers: The carlton grows on you, I didnt like it at first because it is noticeably harder to hand file, but for the price and the way it holds up I find myself using it almost always now. I love a new stihl chain but their so dang high here that I dont use alot of it.

I've never done this before but you may just receive a Christmas Card from me this year.

oh oh, you're going to give Matt/MCW that warm fuzzy feeling saying that, which scares me a bit....:monkey:

You're safe mate :) Carlton is good chain and I would love to know just how many people on this site have actually given it a good work out before bagging it?

So your RM is made in the US ?
Ours comes from the land of Cuckoo Clocks, yodelling and discreet banking.
Interesting.

YUP!
Made here in OOOSA. Drop me an addy and I'll send ya a couple loops.
One to flog, another to test.:D

It might explain the differences we are seeing.

Schnitzel chain might be tasty but not as hard? LOL!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm real happy with the Oregon chain I've got. I run Stihl chain too, no complaints about it either. ....

Mr. HE:cool:

So am I - I guess it depends on the condition you cut under (state of the wood).

My favourites is Stihl RSC, closely followed by Oregon LP (not LG/LGX) in 3/8" - and Oregon LP closely followed by RSC in .325..

The differences sure are there, but not a big deal to me.

I have my first Carlton chain on the 5100S now - so far it has done well (except it was quite dull when new)!

Last edited:
I've never done this before but you may just receive a Christmas Card from me this year.

You're safe mate :) Carlton is good chain and I would love to know just how many people on this site have actually given it a good work out before bagging it?

:cheers: Ill be waiting at Christmas time! Seriously at first I hated the stuff, then I figured out it files fine if you have a good sharp file. The oregon would file with any old file you could find, now I just file till it quits cuttin and chuck the file! But the harder chain does hold up better!

Guys, I hate to bust your bubbles! But oregon/blount bough out carlton last year. If blount does what it did to windsor, all carlton chains are going to be butter soft as oregon. Here is a link to a newspaper article covering the buy out. http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/04/28/daily55.html

:buttkick: You had to go and tell us didnt ya! Well all I can say is so far the chains are the same. Hopefully , fingers crossed, they will just keep making carlton where they are and leave it the same , that way they will control more of the market. If not I guess Ill be looking for a better deal on stihl chain!

LG/LGX isn't bad but it sure ain't no RSC.:bowdown:

For a budget, but not as fast, the Carlton seems to be the best. If you have the means, I highly recommend trying a loop of RSC.:clap:

Got some Oregon 18" for the 260 and yeah, it is pretty soft stuff, gotta be careful not too hog off too much! But for the price I can sharpen on every tank full! JJ

Got some Oregon 18" for the 260 and yeah, it is pretty soft stuff, gotta be careful not too hog off too much! But for the price I can sharpen on every tank full! JJ

You must have a good place to get oregon! Out of curiousty what did the 18 for the 260 cost you? At the local saw shop it would cost me 18-25 bucks!

I run a Stihl 361 and Husky 357xp. Both are as they came from factory 3/8 .058 full comp chisel. The Oregon chain that came on the 357 just sucks compared to the Stihl chain. It goes dull really fast. It sharpens really easy though...soft as butter. I'm switching to Stihl chain when I use up this loop (which won't be long).

Wow I wonder how they have stayed in business so long.

That's because it has been popular for so long! Seriously, there are tons of guys- CiscoGuy, Wannabe to name a few who have plenty of saw time and like LGX. If you do a search on LGX, you'll find out. I was using RSC before and it needed it's share of touching up. It could have been me, sharpening with too much of a hook. But it didn't make LGX seem like butter when I switched. I'm seriously considering Carlton because .058 gauge RS or RSC is hard to find. The only thing I don't like about Carlton is getting use to a 35 degree top plate angle and .028 depth gauge setting.

Carlton fans,-Can you use a husky depth gauge tool on Carlton chains?

That's because it has been popular for so long! Seriously, there are tons of guys- CiscoGuy, Wannabe to name a few who have plenty of saw time and like LGX. If you do a search on LGX, you'll find out. I was using RSC before and it needed it's share of touching up. It could have been me, sharpening with too much of a hook. But it didn't make LGX seem like butter when I switched. I'm seriously considering Carlton because .058 gauge RS or RSC is hard to find. The only thing I don't like about Carlton is getting use to a 35 degree top plate angle and .028 depth gauge setting.

Carlton fans,-Can you use a husky depth gauge tool on Carlton chains?

Not sure what depth gauge you have but I use the same one I got from my dolmar dealer on all my carlton and oregon/husky chain.

Guys, I hate to bust your bubbles! But oregon/blount bough out carlton last year. If blount does what it did to windsor, all carlton chains are going to be butter soft as oregon. Here is a link to a newspaper article covering the buy out. http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/04/28/daily55.html

It's my bet that when the Oregon Chain guys walked to the Carlton plant and seen the machinery for hardening and tempering chain they had to ask what the h311 they where?

I have ran Oregon 72 LGX almost exclusively for the last year, with the exception of a 1 loop of RSC and 1 loop of RMC and some picco. Its far from "crap" in my book. But I do agree, RSC is better.

By being the cheapest? (in every sense of the word)

If I keep cutting the same type of wood my Stihl chain is on track to last twice as long so its going to cheaper for me in the long run anyways.

Latest posts

Back