Oregon chain is cr@p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[snip
I'm seriously considering Carlton because .058 gauge RS or RSC is hard to find. The only thing I don't like about Carlton is getting use to a 35 degree top plate angle and .028 depth gauge setting.

Carlton fans,-Can you use a husky depth gauge tool on Carlton chains?

I'd seriously suggest the File-O-Plate (FOP)

I was using the FOP for merely dropping the rakers (it progressively lowers them as the cutter moves back) and using an Oregon file guide out in the bush (lots of touching up with our timber) and the angles deteriorated (less hook, etc)
The Oregon 7/32" guide seemed to be folding the file too high.
Went to the FOP for filing and bloody hell, while my chain was 35* across the top plate, the cutter angle was no where near where it should be. After quite a few strokes to re-correct, the difference in speed was marked, and edge holding is even better in the very dirty crap I'm cutting ATM (termite chimney up the guts)
Clever little gizmo.

Some of us knew that, but so far production hasn't switched to the Oregon plant, unlike Windsor.

One baileys website, its been posted the woodland pro chains use oregon cutters. Ive got some 30RC and its not holding up too well in hardwood. I see how it handles softwood with firewood season kicking off soon for me. On the flip side, 20nk chain is holding up well to hardwood, dirty softwood. What ever I throw at it, it just takes it! Good stuff for such lite weight chain.

The only thing I don't like about Carlton is getting use to a 35 degree top plate angle and .028 depth gauge setting.
I sharpen all my Carlton chain to 30° as it seems to hold up better so don't think you have to stick to 35°.
As others mentioned, buy a File-O-Plate for the depth guages. They really are cheap for the benefit you get from them.
I've also used LGX and like it in green wood and have had no problems with Windsor, unless I got old stock. I'm gonna send Rick a loop to try out so he can see what he thinks. Even though I'm a Carlton agent I still reckon Windsor is around the mark, and cheaper (unless my Carlton is old stock pre Blount?).

Last edited:
I sharpen all my Carlton chain to 30° as it seems to hold up better so don't think you have to stick to 35°.
As others mentioned, buy a File-O-Plate for the depth guages. They really are cheap for the benefit you get from them.
I've also used LGX and like it in green wood and have had no problems with Windsor, unless I got old stock. I'm gonna send Rick a loop to try out so he can see what he thinks. Even though I'm a Carlton agent I still reckon Windsor is around the mark, and cheaper (unless my Carlton is old stock pre Blount?).
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about giving Carlton a try. None of my local dealers have carlton and the shipping costs bring it about equal to Stihl. The Husky depth gauge tool is progressive like the FOP but it's setup for .025". Honestly, I don't think I could file accurately enough or even eyeball .003" difference!

If I order woodland pro from Bailey's today will it be hard Carlton?

Should be.

According to the Oregon Rep. No change in production has been made yet, but given the time lag and distance, he might be wrong.

Holler at Bailys and ask. The crew over there is straight up and no BS good folks.

The last couple of loops of RC I got last spring are the normal good stuff.

If Carlton goes, it's gonna suck!

The Aussies and crew here, got me to stray from the Stihl chain and it's been good on my wallet.

I hate it when good stuff changes!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

By being the cheapest? (in every sense of the word)

If I keep cutting the same type of wood my Stihl chain is on track to last twice as long so its going to cheaper for me in the long run anyways.

That's wierd......My Husky dealer here sells Oregon and wants $34 for an 84 driver chain and the stihl dealer sells me the same chain (stihl) for $23....It's a real no brainer for me.:dizzy:

That's wierd......My Husky dealer here sells Oregon and wants $34 for an 84 driver chain and the stihl dealer sells me the same chain (stihl) for $23....It's a real no brainer for me.:dizzy:

LOL!!!
Count your blessings!

$18.00 for 72 of Oregon, and $23.00 for RM here and I am assuming you are talking Loonies. I'm not.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was filing at 30* too, but have gone back to 35* for the moment.
Edges seem to be holding up fine in the dirty White Box I'm cutting. (or is it Yellow Box ??)
I can't say with my hand on my heart they are holding up better than when at 30* as I'd have to really do timed cuts back to back, but it doesn't appear I've lost edge holding either.

I was filing at 30* too, but have gone back to 35* for the moment.
Edges seem to be holding up fine in the dirty White Box I'm cutting. (or is it Yellow Box ??)
I can't say with my hand on my heart they are holding up better than when at 30* as I'd have to really do timed cuts back to back, but it doesn't appear I've lost edge holding either.

Yeah there isn't much in it mate. I've tried both and agree that you'd need a stopwatch to tell. I have found that 30° seems to last a bee's willy longer on average than 35° before going off the cut but that can be due to so many more things than just the cutter angle - for example, tough old dirty dead Box :)

Oregon/Carlton Chain Facts

Here is the skinny between the Oregon factory/Carlton factory.

As of today, almost all Oregon branded chain made in North America is produced in their Oregon plants in Portland and Guelph. The only exception is the new 91VXL in which the cutter is made in the Carlton plant in Portland. All Carlton chain is still produced in the Carlton plant in Portland, except for the 1/4" pitch chain, which is made in the Oregon plant. Some of the Windsor chain is a true hybrid, with some parts coming from the Oregon plant in Portland and much of the assembly taking place in the Carlton plant.

As of February 2008, all of our WoodlandPro branded chain is made in the Carlton plant, except the 1/4" pitch.

As far as I know, all Stihl chain is made in their Swiss plant, except some of their .404 chain, which comes from Brazil.

One baileys website, its been posted the woodland pro chains use oregon cutters. Ive got some 30RC and its not holding up too well in hardwood. I see how it handles softwood with firewood season kicking off soon for me. On the flip side, 20nk chain is holding up well to hardwood, dirty softwood. What ever I throw at it, it just takes it! Good stuff for such lite weight chain.

Howdy.
Our Woodland PRO chain that had the "XC" suffix in the item number was Windsor chasis with the Oregon Cutter. All the "RC", or "RCS" is straight up Carlton.
Regards
Gregg

NBailey and GD, I love it when you guys show up with facts. Thanks for the info!

Mr. HE:cool:

As of February 2008, all of our WoodlandPro branded chain is made in the Carlton plant, except the 1/4" pitch.
I noticed the Oregon 1/4" pitch 25AP is safety chain.

I was going to order some Woodland Pro 1/4" pitch because of that, thinking that I would get a full or semi chisel without the safety bumpers.

This doesn't sound so...if it is Oregon chain...:cry:

I've been happy with the Woodland Pro 20NK (.325) running on a 16" bar, but there seems concern that it would also be produced in the Oregon plant at some point, possibly the quality going down also...:cry:

Maybe I should look into Sthil 1/4" pitch chain and see if it is better than the Oregon 25AP.

Cheers,
TT

LOL!!!
Count your blessings!

$18.00 for 72 of Oregon, and $23.00 for RM here and I am assuming you are talking Loonies. I'm not.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Pah 72DL Stihl RSC 14.50, 84DL 16.50, 115 DL 22.50...

Go beat your Stihl dealer up a bit :)

Back