Oregon chain on Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl chains had a large price increase,dealer says not to use Oregon chain on Stihl bar,says I need to change bars.Anyone else use Oregon chain on their Stihl.

.... You just need the right drive link count, right gauge and correct pitch. P.S While your shopping for chain, look for a new dealer to.

True - that dealer either is full of BS, or he just is ignorant.

@Yooperforeman
Some Oregon dealers may not have the gauge and dl count you want though, so you may need to order it.

"Educate" yourself on the different Oregon models, so you know what Stihl models they can "replace". Ask here if in doubt.

I am presently running an Oregon LPX chain on my 290. Cuts as well as any Stihl chain I've used.
Problem is here it's Blount which increased chain prices, a lot: the difference in price is now measured in cents per loop...

I am presently running an Oregon LPX chain on my 290. Cuts as well as any Stihl chain I've used.
Problem is here it's Blount which increased chain prices, a lot: the difference in price is now measured in cents per loop...

The last time I looked the prices were about the same here, and it had been that way for a long time. My favorite chain for the clean and green wood I usually cut is Oregon LP/LPX, closely followed by LGX and RS/RSC. I happily use either.

Back