Oregon LGX Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, first... I did do a search. Not much info yet on the new LGX from oregon. I have been using mostly the Woodsman pro RC/RCS from Baileys, and Stihl RSC/RSC3. Has anyone used this new LGX from oregon? I'm wondering if it is closer to the quality of the Stihl chain for a lower price?

Any input would be fantastic!

OK, first... I did do a search. Not much info yet on the new LGX from oregon. I have been using mostly the Woodsman pro RC/RCS from Baileys, and Stihl RSC/RSC3. Has anyone used this new LGX from oregon? I'm wondering if it is closer to the quality of the Stihl chain for a lower price?

Any input would be fantastic!

No I haven't yet, but was looking for some square ground chisel and found 72 link .375 for only like $10.99 at Amicks. Sounds like a heck of a deal!

Thanks for your orders. It's new and the feedback will come soon. A good logger of our's was in yesterday and bought 10 loops and the first thing he said when he took it out of the box is " It's sharper right out of the Box" . I think the feedback will be great especially cutting times which will be faster that the old 72LG which will be depleted as stock runs out. I have also shipped some of the new 72LPX chain as some have requested it. Thanks again, Tony

The 72LGX is an impressive new Chain. It has a New advanced grind geometry, (Just look at the pictures and you can see the new tooth has an improved angle) significantly improves out-of-box sharpness, substantial speed improvement in boring and bias (undercut) modes. Look at the cutter here:

38_72lp_detail.jpg

Compare it to the Old 72LG,
38_72lg_detail.jpg

Here are some other improvements as well as their other features:

StabL-Link™ drive links, dramatically increase stability in the cut, (patent pending) ( It sure looks different and I can see where the larger drive link will help in keeping the chain straight as well as it fits the sprockets better.)

Blued cutters, provide improved grind consistency, dependable chain to chain performance, superior corrosion resistance

Tumbled parts, improved joint articulation, reduces friction and stretch (I noticed it's easier on your hands, the smother finish which should mean less drag through the cut.)

Offset ramp-shaped depth gauges reduce roughness, helps prevent cutter from diving into the sidewall of the cut

Clean ground gullets, increase chip flow and evacuation

LubriLink™ tie straps help keep oil where it's needed - on the chain

Top-plate witness mark makes accurate sharpening easier
witness_icon.jpg

witnessmark_illust.jpg

Looks excellent..

I would think the rakers would need dressed more often as the chain is sharpened away. Thanks Tony.

Just looked at the Oregon site and couldn't find info on the square ground version, although that could easily be me.

I just went out to the shop and compared Oregon CL and CLX (square ground) chain and it must not be the superguard or whatever it is called. Between the CL and the CLX the only difference I can see is that the cutter is longer and wider. No blued cutter, different dl etc like mentioned in this thread.

So does Oregon offer a version of this new chain in a square ground? So far I prefer the Stihl square, but I am always open to trying new things.

I have a loop on my 7900, but haven't had a chance to use it much yet. It did make the longest noodles I've yet seen, and when I was putting it on the bar it FELT really sharp, had to be careful handling it. So far I like it.

Thanks for the pics Uwharrie!

Looks like some nice chain, not a totally new design but an improvement on an old favorite.

Now I have to use up my 72lp's so I can go buy some.

Some of my customers at my shop, don`t like the new chain from oregon, so they are buying windsor chain instead. I just don`t think they like change. I guess they figure why change a good thing. I personally like the new chain, but you can`t please everyone.

Thanks Rydaddy, mobetter and zemmo for your chain orders.

B_Turner, I don't see a square ground chain like the new ones either. I would think that it's maybe coming but I personally do not know.

The 72LGX is an impressive new Chain. It has a New advanced grind geometry, (Just look at the pictures and you can see the new tooth has an improved angle) significantly improves out-of-box sharpness, substantial speed improvement in boring and bias (undercut) modes. Look at the cutter here: ....

Here are some other improvements as well as their other features:

StabL-Link™ drive links, dramatically increase stability in the cut, (patent pending) ( It sure looks different and I can see where the larger drive link will help in keeping the chain straight as well as it fits the sprockets better.)

Blued cutters, provide improved grind consistency, dependable chain to chain performance, superior corrosion resistance

Tumbled parts, improved joint articulation, reduces friction and stretch (I noticed it's easier on your hands, the smother finish which should mean less drag through the cut.)

Offset ramp-shaped depth gauges reduce roughness, helps prevent cutter from diving into the sidewall of the cut

Clean ground gullets, increase chip flow and evacuation

LubriLink™ tie straps help keep oil where it's needed - on the chain

Top-plate witness mark makes accurate sharpening easier ....

...but still no anti-vibe chassis - why is that, when even Stihl has adopted it......:confused: :confused:

I have always been a fan of stihl chain because of the quality. But the lgx looks impressing! Gonna have to get some!:laugh: ;) :D

It reduce the vibes that originate from the chain a bit.

Oregon has used it for a long time on the LP, BP, VP and more chain models, but never on the LG.

Stihl has copied it, and use it on the RSC, RMC, RSC3 etc.

SawTroll, Oregon has a 72LPX for you if that's what you want. It looks like the LG as far as the tooth and drive links.
38_72lpx_detail.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd add my 2 cents . I always ran the rs stihl chain and recently been using the lgx Oregon chain . Very happy with it for firewood chores ..Big difference in the aggressive chip removal ( sprays corn flakes out of my 562 xp) and what I really like is how long it stays sharp it's very durable . Stihl chain is sharp and cuts great but it is a tad too hard or possibly has a high chrome content . It tends to get beat up on the chisel edges especially in dirty wood and requires frequent regrinding ..The lgx for me seems to last twice as long it cuts straight in the wood ( doesn't go nuts and walk like the stihl chain did )and you don't have to pay ridiculous stihl prices. For it . They sell most sizes on eBay for around 20 bucks shipped

Latest posts

Back