oregon power match plus bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Oregon bars are all that geat. I find them to be a little soft, and after one dressing (with a file) due to use, the match at the tip-to-bar joint is a step (The tips are too hard to cut with a file) You might be able to dress it again, but every link rattling over that step is bound to be tough on chains.

The solution is to dress it with high-speed abrasives: I use a disc sander to blend this joint together. By the time the tip flies apart, its time to get another bar; the groove width and depth are too far gone.

Here's the real question: how much service is acceptable?

I can buy an 009 Oregon 20" for around $50 locally. I will get probably 250 hrs of service from it. I can get a Tsumura (Total) for about $70, and it will go 300hrs...milking every last bit.

Which is the better deal?

What is the value of putting one of those nice shiny Carlton's Bailey's had on sale and just enjoying how nice your saw looks?

What is the value of putting one of those nice shiny Carlton's Bailey's had on sale and just enjoying how nice your saw looks?

Some folks award style points and some don't. Me, I like a sharp looking saw, long as it cuts as good as an ugly one. :cheers:

My '98 jonsered came with a bar stamped Sandvik-Windsor.... so it always wears a Windsor speed tip from now on.... don't know if they changed to Oregon, nor do I know who makes Windsor
I know alot of heavily used Oregon PMs and they hold up just fine..... I have noticed that the bars usually wear out before the nose sprocket.
And I absolutely agree that Husqvarna bars are Oregons that didn't pass Quality Control for some reason or another... seen some strange things on Husky bars. I also find that the Husqvarna paint is pitiful.

Most of the Husqvarna branded that I have seen are repainted Oregon, but the last two Husqvarna bars that I bought were made by GB, a 20" and a 24".

The sprocket tip on a GB has a different look than Oregon.

A while back one of the guys at Bailey's told me that Oregon was buying everyone out, and that soon it would be just Oregon and Stihl for bars.

He also said .058 gauge was on the way out.

[snip]
A while back one of the guys at Bailey's told me that Oregon was buying everyone out, and that soon it would be just Oregon and Stihl for bars.

Which conveniently ignores Tsumura, Sugihara, GB plus a plethora of small European bar makers like whoever made the single rivet sprocket bars for Carlton in Germany, then you have all the bar makers in Taiwan and mainland China.

Also, as I've said before, 0.058" isn't going anywhere seeing as it's Husky and Dolmars default 3/8 gauge worldwide and Stihl use 0.063" for 3/8 bars/chain everywhere except the US. Only in the North America is 0.050" popular.

Most of the Husqvarna branded that I have seen are repainted Oregon, but the last two Husqvarna bars that I bought were made by GB, a 20" and a 24".

The sprocket tip on a GB has a different look than Oregon.

Some Husky RSN bars were GB for a short while, that is correct!

Your "doom" on the .058 most likely isn't true!

Last edited:
if it hasnt already been said, Husqvarna Bars are made by a company called GB, they make very good bars as well but are nontheless a little on the expensive side. I like the oregon powermatch bars, i use them on just about everything i've got without an issue.

The last few Husky bars I've seen have been rebadged Oregon Power Match Plus bars. I could be wrong but if you are still finding GB made Husky branded bars I believe they'll be old, but very good stock. The GB made Husky bars I've seen and sold have just been rebadged Aussie made GB Pro Tops which are excellent bars. Aussie made Pro Tops are getting thin on the ground in Australia by all accounts but you guys in the states seem to have more left than we do!

And .058" guage will be around for a long time yet. On all but the smallest saws and the odd Jonsered, .050" in standard 3/8" is very rare in Australia even though I use a lot of it myself. Rick said it well. G'day Rick ;)

Last edited:
Mmmm, coffee.....haven't had one for a few days either....

Ya bloody what??? Thats crazy talk...

Yep, we'll have to organise something over the next couple of months.......I have a few trees to drop here too :monkey: :D

Count me in old son. I get a bit jealous of all those Americanites having all the chainsaw fun. I'll donate some stuff for prizes - you know, gear that nobody will want ;)

Ya bloody what??? Thats crazy talk...

Count me in old son. I get a bit jealous of all those Americanites having all the chainsaw fun. I'll donate some stuff for prizes - you know, gear that nobody will want ;)

I dunno what ur talkin'bout I plan on cashin' some miles and being there too:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy:

I dunno what ur talkin'bout I plan on cashin' some miles and being there too:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy:

Cool! If we hold it at my place there are a heap of Polonia trees nearby we can have fun dropping as well :)
What I should do is come to the US and claim it on tax as a business related trip!

Cool! If we hold it at my place there are a heap of Polonia trees nearby we can have fun dropping as well :)
What I should do is come to the US and claim it on tax as a business related trip!

Now that would be awesome!! and much more likely to happen as I have probly 12 miles:laugh:

Now that would be awesome!! and much more likely to happen as I have probly 12 miles:laugh:

The US will be my first port of call when I finally get time to go on an overseas holiday! I'll also make sure I get to a GTG when I'm there and catch up with Brad.

Back