Oregon PowerSharp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how do you field test something like this?

You actually should bring in an actual redneck to try it and see how it fares.

So you can see how the majority will find it.

BTW, what happened with that "Silver Streak" fiasco?

Fish,
I love your classic humor on the last line of your first post!!!! OE said you would have a witty response when PowerSharp® first hit this forum.

You are correct, the general top sharp concept goes back to the late 1950’s and came to an end in the early 1980’s. Those chains could be sharpened a few times and then the cutting performance decreased because the chain created a poorly shaped groove in the stone. That poorly shaped groove rounded the cutting points, got worse with each sharpening, and was a fatal flaw in the sharpening system. There were all kinds of work arounds to the poor groove shape but nothing really worked through the life of the chain.

Why revive that general chain design??? A sharpened chain in less than ten seconds.

To overcome the poorly shaped groove we added diamond coated dresser links to the chain. Just like you use a diamond dresser to shape your grinding wheel, we use a diamond coated dresser link to dress the stone. Every pass of all the cutters by the stone is followed by a pass from a pair of diamond dresser links to keep the right groove shape.

The product will become available to servicing dealers likely late May or early June.

So what is it going to cost? How does the price of the stones compare to that of traditional files?

Has anyone used one of these?

It looks super easy and intriguing.

I am just curious to see how well it works.

Does anyone have any idea of the price of this thing?

Your first post, welcome! Convenient for your inquiry that PowerSharp Eng joined a couple of weeks ago -- it's his first post, too.

Jac

Your first post, welcome! Convenient for your inquiry that PowerSharp Eng joined a couple of weeks ago -- it's his first post, too.

Jac

I'm new too, and was curious about it.. But instead of posting up, I searched last week and only found posts about the old on-saw systems of the past.

I'm wondering about the retail, and if Joe Consumer will be willing to outlay $$ to put the system on his $129 Wild Thing..

Can you only sharpen the chain with that do-hickie on the end or can you use a file to?
So every time you use a new chain, you have to get a new stone, thats wastefull, does the stone come with the chain?

Last edited:
I saw what hhm was fishing for, that's why I thought I should raise my hand and mention my interest as well, even if this thread is a well placed viral promo.

Anyone have a retail?

It is not immediately apparent to me how the geometry of this new self-sharpening chain will cut any better than the old auto-sharp system, or, be more accurate, how it will avoid cutting considerably worse than conventional chain. Conventional tooth geometry depends on, among other things, the edge exposure generated by the proper adjustment of the rakers, or depth gauges. How any edge exposure will be generated with the sharpening stone making the cutting edge and the raker effectively the same height is not explained. What effect that honkin' big stone dresser being dragged through the cut isn't explained either.

What is immediately apparent is the lack of relevance the promotional video has to a typical user on this forum. Premise: it is difficult to get a sharp chain by filing (show a pair of hands feebly and ineptly trying to use a file, infomercial style). That may be true for the inept, but it's not true of an experienced user. It's relatively easy to get a truly sharp chain, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, the video may look real. The video implies that the only way you'll get your chain sharpened with a grinder is to take it to a shop. Those of us with grinders know that isn't true, either.

The video mourns the tendency of chains to become dull by contact with the ground, and shows the user dutifully and repeatedly chewing into the ground, even on logs that are clearly small enough to move. Most of us know not to do that, but the real issue is that if you really do saw into the ground you're likely to have a rocked chain that -- well, let's just say that the 3-5 second sharpening estimate is optimistic.

Dubious geometry, whose performance versus traditional chain is unproven, straw man difficulties purportedly solved, sketchy information, no price . . . hmmm, doesn't look good. Retail? If it becomes a real product, it will be at Lowes. Lowes is Oregon's big box partner (HD switched to their own stuff), the target market for this sort of thing shops at big boxes, and Lowes website does not mention it. I could be wrong, but it looks like a trial balloon to me, not a product that is currently on the market. And the insertion here was clumsy.

Good luck, lads.

Jack

Funny after all these years there trying it again. The first stuff was a joke.

One thing is for sure, there are alot of people who cannot file a chain, alot of them even on these forums. Look at all the grinders being sold and half can't run them properly either.

If this new system is even halfway respectable, then Oregon is going to make alot of money off of this setup this time.

the "Slap Chop" of the chainsaw world!

Hey Vince... er... PowerSharp Eng
it sounds like this will be marketed at box stores, sold by ignorant salespersons, to ignorant shoppers.

I can see the technology of the unit
And the Consumables market looks ripe.

imagine... How many Joe Q Homeowners are going to drive this unit into the ground to sharpen, vice a nice light touch... shorten the cutting ability by lowering cutter height, but not lowering rakers.

Joe comes back to "BBS" to get another setup prematurely Cause of a heavy hand makes for very short life/poor performance.

and Joe won't know that the saw that came with this, can be retrofitted with standard cutting equipment. Unless the sprocket is also proprietary!

$:clap:$:clap:$:clap:$:clap:$:clap:$:clap:$ All the way to the bankl

Real shrewd mang

Look at it this way...the more homeowners that buy this gadget, the less "how do I sharpen my saw" threads on AS. Definitely a good thing.

Exactly. This will be fantastic for people who simply view a chainsaw as a tool for cutting wood. The sort of people who can't understand why you might have more than one chain, the sort of people who saw dirt and wonder why their saw is now "rubbish", the sort of people who only have one saw. Yes, I know it hurts us to think of people like this, but they exist.

It isn't for me. If I decided to go down this route, I'd need to buy about 20 guide bars, half a mile of chain and I'd want it in 404, 3/8, .325, 3/8 picco etc....
Easier and cheaper to file. Having seen a pro file....I'd guess for the average small bar, filing would be just as quick, and the file fits in your back pocket.

Yes, I know it hurts us to think of people like this, but they exist.

They do exist indeed, and you are looking maybe at 80% of the saw market. :agree2:

Hey OE, good to see you back ! We could use some good technical info on chain manufactering, but I suppose your hands might te tied...

Last edited:
imagine... How many Joe Q Homeowners are going to drive this unit into the ground to sharpen, vice a nice light touch... shorten the cutting ability by lowering cutter height, but not lowering rakers.

I don't disagree that this is likely a gimmick (no way it can get the saw as sharp as a good file and a steady hand), but according to the literature, the stone takes down the rakers as well. I'm thinking it has something to do with sharpening on the round tip vs. on the flat part of the blade.

I can also see joe homeowner thinking if 3-5 seconds is good, 20-30 is better! They'll be going through the chains like crazy! lol

I do know I'll probably get one of these for my father-in-law. His chains are always dull, and I don't always bring my sharpening kit when I visit. Lowes has a very good return policy, so if it doesn't work, back it goes.

If it works, it does not have to be as good as a professionally filed chain. It might be an option for the user with limited sharpening skills (or interest) compared to a chronically dull chain. Again, IF it works, the convenience factor would be hard to beat for some.

As for chain life, it reminds me of other situations where we have taken disposable blades for granted (razors, utility knives, planer blades, etc.). I'm sure that old timers scoffed that these were only for guys who did not know how to sharpen. Some guys buy really expensive paint brushes, clean them carefully and keep them for years; others buy cheap ones and toss them after each use.

Maybe PSE will make some demo units available for evaluation and feedback?

Philbert

Last edited:
OOOOpsss. Forgot the pic!!!!

The Holy Grail!!!!!!
attachment.php

Back