Oregon RMC Equivalent?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In .325 it is Oregon BPX, in 3/8" I think it is Oregon DP - but I am no expert on semi-chisel chain, as I mostly don't use them. :msp_wink:

Thee is no equivlent to stihl rmc.rmc is the smothest fastest cutting semi chisel out there hands down. Ive tried them all and stihl is ahead by alot.

Oregon DG is the equivalent... Baileys doesn't sell DG, only DP which has the guard link... Carlton's is EP, WoodlandPro (Carlton) is SC.

Oregon DG is the equivalent... Baileys doesn't sell DG, only DP which has the guard link... Carlton's is EP, WoodlandPro (Carlton) is SC.

DG is obsolete, simply because DP performs better - the large ramped rakers of the DG was meant to do the same job as the small ramps and small rakers on the DP, but was discontinued because the DP simply performed better.

I am sure the LG/LGX eventually will go the same way, because the LP/LPX simply cuts better, but that will take some time.....:givebeer:

Thanks for the info guys. Baileys description is what was throwing me off. They have DP listed as the equivalent to Stihl RMC3 which is the safety chain.

I would just go with RMC but it is quite elusive in .058 gauage.

And I wouldn't even be thinking about anything other than full chisel if I didn't have a hollow stump to take down and buck up. Seems the resident squirrel has brought all kinds of nasty abrasive items in to his "home". ;)

Not meaning to high-jack the thread, but can someone tell me...
If I buy a 25" 3/8 050 84DL RMC chain, would it work on my 24" 84DL 3/8 050 GB bar ?

Thanks!

Not meaning to high-jack the thread, but can someone tell me...
If I buy a 25" 3/8 050 84DL RMC chain, would it work on my 24" 84DL 3/8 050 GB bar ?

Thanks!

Pitch, gauge and no of drive links is all that matters. The specified length is of little meaning, especially when using bars and chains from different manufacturers.

Pitch, gauge and no of drive links is all that matters. The specified length is of little meaning, especially when using bars and chains from different manufacturers.

That's what I assumed but just wanted to be sure.

Thank You

In the 24" vs. 25" case, Stihl simply are misrepresenting their bar & chain for some odd reason.

Yup, Stihl not using the same ruler. My Stihl bar says 25", but dealer told me it was a 24" and proceeded to punctuate his knowledge by throwing a measuring tape on it. 24" it read.

Thee is no equivlent to stihl rmc.rmc is the smothest fastest cutting semi chisel out there hands down. Ive tried them all and stihl is ahead by alot.

RSC is so far ahead of the few other full chisel chains I've tried, I just stopped trying to find a better one. Actually, I was only ever motivated to look at alternatives b/c of the price of RSC but all that did is make me happy to pay the stihl premium.

Also, there are progressively more scenarios where I would have reached for carlton semi chisel in the past but instead choose RSC now and accept it'll need a few extra tickle-ups with the file, and that's fine by me, and I'm learning how to put a reasonably long wearing edge on it with round files.

Last edited:
Yup, Stihl not using the same ruler. My Stihl bar says 25", but dealer told me it was a 24" and proceeded to punctuate his knowledge by throwing a measuring tape on it. 24" it read.

Yes i here what your saying and your correct.
You need 84 drive links in 3/8
I use 85 drive links when using a 8 pin sprocket.

Last edited:
It absolutely kills me to even consider paying $12 to ship a single chain :msp_mad:

And I didn't see SC in .058 on their website Bailey's - Chainsaw Chain > WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain > WoodlandPro 3/8" Pitch Saw Chain

They have it.
Bailey's - Chainsaw Chain > WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain > WoodlandPro 3/8" Pitch Saw Chain > WoodlandPro 38RC Saw Chain

Just dig through the catalog and stock up on some stuff you're gonna need anyhow...then cringe and hit send.:cool2:

I hear ya on shipping. Our local dealers stock a miserable selection of overpriced chain so I pay shipping, but the price difference is about even.

Maybe find an old loop of nasty Safety chain and just flog it on that stump?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back