oregon / stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel&coffee

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hate 2 ask

any real diff in quality between stihl and oregon chains... I have a stihl ms 361 and WAS going to go with thier chains - but after digging up a TON of info on chains/sharping/etc on Oregons site I think I will go with them. I know Oregon is a good chain - just asking !!

ps: South Texas cuttin OAK, Cedar, Mesq. Ash, Peacn..

hate 2 ask

any real diff in quality between stihl and oregon chains... I have a stihl ms 361 and WAS going to go with thier chains - but after digging up a TON of info on chains/sharping/etc on Oregons site I think I will go with them. I know Oregon is a good chain - just asking !!

ps: South Texas cuttin OAK, Cedar, Mesq. Ash, Peacn..
The Texas oak isn't so bad to cut, but the cedar, mesquite, and pecan are he!! on a chain. The Stihl chain is harder and holds its edge longer, but the Oregon does file quicker. So oddly enough, I prefer the softer Oregon cutters and file more often. The Cedar and mesquite are the worst, they will trash the edge on a Stihl chain in 15 minutes and an Oregon chain in 12 so you do spend quite a bit of time filing.

Reading up on filing !!! It's like getting married !!!! Geeeeee

So the Stihl RMC square chain and the bar mount filers - oregon and stihl both ONLY use the round files correct?? so u can do a fair job with a round file on the square chain... but u can't do the best!!

stated another way - what ther HE!! should I use to sharpen RMC chain..

should I try using a square file by hand or use the round bar mount??

I JUST found out/read about the SWED making a square jig for sharping and it SHOULD be ready SOON!

ps: should I try the M series Oregon chain or the other

Last edited:
The Texas oak isn't so bad to cut, but the cedar, mesquite, and pecan are he!! on a chain. The Stihl chain is harder and holds its edge longer, but the Oregon does file quicker. So oddly enough, I prefer the softer Oregon cutters and file more often. The Cedar and mesquite are the worst, they will trash the edge on a Stihl chain in 15 minutes and an Oregon chain in 12 so you do spend quite a bit of time filing.

Yes I have said that many times also and if you are new to filing then learn on the Oregon. When you get good at filing[not rocket science like some are led to believe] you will be finding yourself touching up your chain whenever needed when you are at the stump or woodpile. My best advice here is stay with shortest bar/chain as needed, 32" at the woodpile is going to discourage anyone real quick in their attempt to hand file it.
:)

So the Stihl RMC square chain and the bar mount filers - oregon and stihl both ONLY use the round files correct?? so u can do a fair job with a round file on the square chain... but u can't do the best!!

I JUST found out/read about the SWED making a square jig for sharping and it SHOULD be ready SOON!

A goofy file and practice, I keep my square chain square and my round chain round. I haven't tried the jigs but I would like to. Allot of people say you should use chipper for the dirty wood but I can pull the dings out of a square chain with a square file faster. You do burn through more chain quicker.

Allot of folks here don't realize what the wood you cut is like. Dirty is an understatement, mesquite and cedar will throw sparks when you cut it, it makes for a nice light show at dusk.

Forget the bar mount filing jig. Alot dumb setup and time consuming, just file freehand won't be perfect at first but you'll get it. ,

Yes I have said that many times also and if you are new to filing then learn on the Oregon. When you get good at filing[not rocket science like some are led to believe] you will be finding yourself touching up your chain whenever needed when you are at the stump or woodpile. My best advice here is stay with shortest bar/chain as needed, 32" at the woodpile is going to discourage anyone real quick in their attempt to hand file it.
:)

Yup, when I cut the desert wood I like a 20" bar and a semi skip chain. When I am in the back yard cutting the ponderosa and fir its a 28" or 30".

Leave the square [chisel bit ] file for the softwoodd or saw racing. Round file is easier to learn with and leaves stronger edge in dirty wood. If your talking about learning to file with a jig don't even consider square filing .

Your chain is a RM ,it is filed with a round file anyways!!
Sharp file and follow the instructions on the chain box and you'll surprise yourself.

Last edited:
Romeo

Any comments on STihl RM chain vs RSC??

RM is chipper chain, RSC is round chisel. The RSC will cut much faster and dull faster. The RM is better than round chipper, it has a flat 45 deg bevel on the cutting corner (I don't think Stihl does the round chipper anymore).

What saw are you running?

361 with a 18" bar... doing a muff mod on it soon...

looking for a used 460 - Do I really need it NO...

ps: i get a lot of wood from the city brush site and yes by the time the wood gets there
it is dirty.. and gets even more dirt/etc on it.. I really don't ever cut a tree down :popcorn: I am a camper, caver, parks person who loves bon fires!! I also ride standup jetskis in the winter - thus I need a fire when I get back to the camp site... Plus I just love chain saws... I am getting a splitting axe this week "ordering it" most likely a Swedish and/or German one (that makes 2)...

When I go camping - the back of my truck is full!! You know how much that would cost in the
park - or at a firewood place! $$$.. 2 or 3 times and I could have got a Stihl chain saw!!

ps2: Ok I cut a tree every once in a while!! When I am in route to a park and i see a tree in
need of cuttin down :buttkick: And if a friend needs me to cut a tree down - it does not take long!

Last edited:
361 with a 18" bar... doing a muff mod on it soon...

looking for a used 460 - Do I really need it NO...

ps: i get a lot of wood from the city brush site and yes by the time the wood gets there
it is dirty.. and gets even more dirt/etc on it.. I really don't ever cut a tree down :popcorn: I am a camper, caver, parks person who loves bon fires!! I also ride standup jetskis in the winter - thus I need a fire when I get back to the camp site... Plus I just love chain saws... I am getting a splitting axe this week "ordering it" most likely a Swedish and/or German one (that makes 2)...

When I go camping - the back of my truck is full!! You know how much that would cost in the
park - or at a firewood place! $$$.. 2 or 3 times and I could have got a Stihl chain saw!!

ps2: Ok I cut a tree every once in a while!! When I am in route to a park and i see a tree in
need of cuttin down :buttkick: And if a friend needs me to cut a tree down - it does not take long!

Thats OK, the only reason I cut mesquite is to have camp fire or a little BBQ with. I bet I burn more mesquite in the summer than I burn pine and oak through the winter.
mikespig.jpg

Latest posts

Back