oregon / stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see it a little "CLEARER" now! I have a RMC and RSC3 chain in front of me! and man the RSC3 safty bump really stands out! Before when I was looking at pictures, I was so focused on the cutter part I never really saw where the extra bump was (right on top the depth guage)... And on the RMC there is NONE!

So does the SAFTY bumps have it harder to HAND file in the fld??

On the RMC the 45 angle DOES have a slight curve at one point.. The RSC is a STRIAGHT 45 angle.. I think u may have unknowningly stated it backwards ROMEO!!

Now when I get my OREGON M series dusty chain I can see just how much bigger, beafier, etc the STIHL chains are over the Oregon... Nothing takes place on seeing it first hand!

I can see it a little "CLEARER" now! I have a RMC and RSC3 chain in front of me! and man the RSC3 safty bump really stands out! Before when I was looking at pictures, I was so focused on the cutter part I never really saw where the extra bump was (right on top the depth guage)... And on the RMC there is NONE!

On the RMC the 45 angle DOES have a slight curve at one point.. The RSC is a STRIAGHT 45 angle.. I think u may have unknowningly stated it backwards ROMEO!!

Now when I get my OREGON M series dusty chain I can see just how much bigger, beafier, etc the STIHL chains are over the Oregon... Nothing takes place on seeing it first hand!
You wont notice so much bigger beafier, the chrome and steal are harderon the Stihl.

RM is chipper chain.... The RM is better than round chipper, it has a flat 45 deg bevel on the cutting corner (I don't think Stihl does the round chipper anymore).

Romeo - came back to look at this thread - I noted you stated the RM chain is better then ROUND CHIPER!! Do u mean round chipper like CARLTON S series CHIPPER CHAIN (round chipper) ???

http://http://www.sawchain.com/images/2008-2009%20Intl%20Catalog/SawChainTypes.pdf

http://www.sawchain.com/products/productdescChain.asp?SeriesID=1

RS/RSC is 90 degrees (give or take) just like Romeo stated! looks like a 7.

The safty bumps make no diff for sharpening in the field you just treat it the same as a mormal chain.
RM/RMC has like a chamfer on the 90 deg part of the 7 instead of a sharp piont.

Round chipper is not like RM/RMC instead of a small chamfer the whole thing is round in profile like a ?

Chipper was used a lot on mechanical harvesters, Remember these things have no clutch on the chain, A hell of a lot of HP driving the chain and a hydralic ram pushing the bar through the wood.
It would cut a lot slower on a handheld chainsaw that the RM semi chisel profile.

Last edited:
I know the "chipper" chain takes a little more hp - and they req. "ask of" a 65cc or larger saw on a "chain saw".... I also know - "like" Austrilia they use the he!! out it in "some" places..

I have seen - but can't find now - forum threads where "they" - who ever they are - have used it around the US and said they liked it and have had some RM type chain!! I am a just messing around - but guess my glass of LAPHROAIG is being poured out on the sand/dirt/mud... Can I go home now! :cry:

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know the "chipper" chain takes a little more hp - and they req. "ask of" a 65cc or larger saw on a "chain saw".... I also know - "like" Austrilia they use the he!! out it in "some" places..

I have seen - but can't find now - forum threads where "they" - who ever they are - have used it around the US and said they liked it and have had some RM type chain!! I am a just messing around - but guess my glass of LAPHROAIG is being poured out on the sand/dirt/mud... Can I go home now! :cry:

:rolleyes:

Round chipper is used for dirty conditions but i gater it cuts fairly slow compared to semi or full chisel

And you would be welcome to a nice glass of Laphroaig anytime:laugh:
Theres now way it would be wasted by pouring into dirt lol

Thats just it "almost" all the wood I cut is dirty/saw dusty/mud on it.... I don't usually cut trees down - I get my wood from the city or "country" brush dump sites... The commerical cutters have to pay to dump in the brush site - I can take it out for free! The stuff usually needs a little or LOT of work to "further" cut down to size to take off... I am too start to try to do most of the cuttin there so the only thing at home is a "splitting" axe /etc..

They have started spraying down the wood piles with non pot. water - this makes it even worse it times... So u see - I never cut CLEAN wood!

Last edited:
Thats just it "almost" all the wood I cut is dirty/saw dusty/mud on it.... I don't usually cut trees down - I get my wood from the city or "country" brush dump sites... The commerical cutters have to pay to dump in the brush site - I can take it out for free! The stuff usually needs a little or LOT of work to "further" cut down to size to take off... I am too start to try to do most of the cuttin there so the only thing at home is a "splitting" axe /etc..

They have started spraying down the wood piles with non pot. water - this makes it even worse it times... So u see - I never cut CLEAN wood!

Well my suggestion for your application of dirty wood is shop for a loop of carbide chain, Stihl makes several good ones ,but be warned you will lose cutting speed with them and you may need a bigger saw.If you stay away from rocks they stay sharp for a very long time.:)

thanks but I don't think that is the "TOP" / right answer! I just may become the best RM "AND" / in addition to Carlton A1S / A1EP - sharpener this side of the Pecos River..

ps: I found a 25' role of Carlton A1S "chipper" chain for a good price $57 .. I may just get it for the hE!! of it.. I may send one loop to someone who has harder wood around for a test..

Is seems it's:

Stihl RM + RMF
Oregon = which not going to use
Carlton A1EP / and A1S "chipper" for the hE!! of it.. !!
** Thats in addition to using

There you go thats the spirit! Its good to see a top saw filer hopefull who is doing his homework.:newbie:
It appears some day you may cut some clean wood also.

ok looks like I will have a 25' reel of carlton "chipper" chain to mess with! A1S-25R ET .... cool...
Stihl RM and Carlton S and one loop of carlton A1EP.. thats all the bases... I will be able to
compare down the line!!

ps: The chipper reel by way of Canada approx. $75 to my door step! :)

Last edited:
Back