Osage Orange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that is so, relatives two hundred and more years ago did so. The craft was not passed done to me by Dad's grandmother and great grandmother for ancient reasons.
A member has asked for some to make bows ,but I forget which thread he asked. He might have design out on W coast where osage isn't

Try going on the site called Tradbow.com you will find some selfbow shooters that maybe interested. It is one of the best bow woods we have.

Hedge is what we know it as around these parts. Farmers have been using hedge poles to make fence post for decades, bc it lasts forever, burns hot and long in a wood stove. Litttle warning it is hell on chains, hedge is unbelievably hard

Aint that something, im telling ya if i guy could mill that, that color would be awesome. But it take a month of Sundays to do it i expect

BobL mills some pretty hard Aussie hard wood every day and gets it done. It really helps not to stick the bar in the dirt when you cut through the log. A little nick in the dirt after each cut and 10 cuts later you have a very dull saw. I've milled Black Locust which is about 1700 on the Janka scale, Osage is about 2700, some of the exotic hardwoods were 3200 or so, Joe.

My father has a billy club turned from Osage orange. It's a good solid piece. On the farm growing up, Osage orange (hedge) fence posts were almost impossible to drive a fence staple into. Some posts probably weren't over 2 inches in diameter. Tough suckers, they were. No posts, no fences, no livestock on the farm these days. But he still has a Farmall Super M that he bought new in 1954.

I just built a set of Adirondack chairs out of hedge/osage lumber that a friend in Kansas gave me. The whole dang shop is yellow with the sawdust! I will try to remember to post photos.

Latest posts

Back