osage promise:last round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbyguy_78

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok.here goes:so far i havent found one good local(tri-state)market for osage orange logs. I called every phone number in the phone book to try to get some leads,saw mills,forestry consultants,etc.Surely i have to be overlooking something here right?Are my logs going to decompose by the time i can find a buyer? LOL:hmm3grin2orange: So,in one last desperate plea for help i am writing this. should i post a reward?:clap: thanks ......Scott

Are the trees still standing?
If so, is there a reason why they need cut down?
If yes, go to page 14 subsection 321 line item 12-A.

no, new page came out, refer to bulliten 428-txs4r-876.1a(c)9

Shoot Ralph. Did you get the new, new edition? Dang nab it, my edition is dated yesterday.

Seriously, I see the other thread on this has taken off again. I believe we are running duplicate here.

same topic, why the need for three threads. We are smart enough to follow along even if we don't have the magic answer that you seek.;) :D

I lost my manual....

yeah thats right

i joined in on arborsite not only because most of the members are really helpful,but i am learning a lot as a new guy to the forum.so, i apologize for wanting some help.it was a deperate plea for some "osage" knowledge,and like i stated:it will be the last time i ask. Sorry....Scott

i joined in on arborsite not only because most of the members are really helpful,but i am learning a lot as a new guy to the forum.so, i apologize for wanting some help.it was a deperate plea for some "osage" knowledge,and like i stated:it will be the last time i ask. Sorry....Scott

lol, we're just playing with ya Scott. I personally would much rather read 3 osage questions than 3 which saw is right for me threads. talk about getting old!!!
but honsetly, I know of no commercial use for osage other than firewood, which it is excellent for. maybe knife blocks like was mentioned, but it seems you would get a few years worth of them from just one tree, so dunno about demand...
-Ralph

ok

lol, we're just playing with ya Scott. I personally would much rather read 3 osage questions than 3 which saw is right for me threads. talk about getting old!!!
but honsetly, I know of no commercial use for osage other than firewood, which it is excellent for. maybe knife blocks like was mentioned, but it seems you would get a few years worth of them from just one tree, so dunno about demand...
-Ralph

sorry i "snapped for a second" it has been a long,cold, firewood cutting type of day.not complaining though cause the business took a good turn for the better.:hmm3grin2orange:

I would think youd find a very limited market for it. All I know of is fence posts, firewood, and longbows. I did know of a guy that made a bearing out of it for his disc aint much demand for that though. If it was me I'd be sitting in front of the woodstove and buring it to keep warm.

ok.here goes:so far i havent found one good local(tri-state)market for osage orange logs. I called every phone number in the phone book to try to get some leads,saw mills,forestry consultants,etc.Surely i have to be overlooking something here right?Are my logs going to decompose by the time i can find a buyer? LOL:hmm3grin2orange: So,in one last desperate plea for help i am writing this. should i post a reward?:clap: thanks ......Scott

Osage orange is not going to decompose very quick as I have a 10 mile perimeter fence they are holding that has been in place for 75 years. Sure makes a pretty board, better cut it green, it gets like steel with age.:biggrinbounce2:

My recolection is that small carveing blocks is the only real market for post-apple. Down below you will see smoking pipes as a usage. So if you saw it up and dry it, you should be able to find someone willing to pay something for it. If you look on ebay, you will see 161 hits for OSAGE, many for small carvings, turnings and bowstaves.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=osage

title

Maclura pomifera

this page uses English units of measure

Family: Moraceae

Osage Orange

The genus Maclura contains about 12 species native to: North America [1], with the rest in tropical America and Africa. The genus name maclura is after William Maclure (1763-1840), and American geologist, while the species epithet pomifera means bearing pomes or apples, in allusion to the large, spherical fruits.

Maclura pomifera-Bodare Us, Bodark, Bodeck, Bodock, Bois d'arc, Bowwood, Geelhout, Hedge, Hedge Apple, Hedge-plant, Horse Apple, Maclura, Mock Orange, Naranjo Chino, Osage, Osage Apple-tree, Rootwood, Wild Orange, Yellow-wood.

Distribution

Native to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas, but since escaped and naturalized throughout the eastern and north western US.

The Tree

Osage Orange is a medium size tree with thorns which grows in bottom lands. It attains a height of 60 feet and a diameter of 3 feet. The bark has an orange cast and was used in making kaki dye during W.W.I. It produces large spherical fruits the size of large grapefruits in the fall.

The Wood

General

The sapwood of Osage Orange is narrow and light yellow, while the heartwood is golden to bright orange, which darkens upon exposure. The heartwood can also contain red streaks. It has no characteristic odor or taste. The wood is very hard, heavy, tough, resilient and takes a high luster. It is ring porous and commonly confused with black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia).

Mechanical Properties (2-inch standard)
For a PDF copy with tables..
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/Techsheets/HardwoodNA/pdf_files/maclureng.pdf

Working Properties: Osage Orange is difficult to work due to its hardness. It holds glue and screws well, but is difficult to nail.

Durability: Osage Orange is considered one of the most durable woods in North America.

Preservation: No information available at this time.

Uses: : Fuel wood, fence posts, game calls, smoking pipes, artificial limbs, crutches, insulator pins, wheel rims & hubs of farm wagons, railroad ties, treenails, machinery parts, archery, bows (Native Americans), dye from roots, planted for windrows and hedges.

Toxicity: The sap can cause dermatitis (105)​

wood turners are always looking for the unusual to turn bowls out of. Get in contact with a primitive archery club, might get them to take the load for bow material. Put a google search in for bow makers, might get something there.

Hey Derby guy!

:dizzy: :dizzy:How many o.o. logs do you have? Do you know how much you want for them? How big and how long are they? Thanks

Reply To Dave And Others

:dizzy: :dizzy:How many o.o. logs do you have? Do you know how much you want for them? How big and how long are they? Thanks

:greenchainsaw: I HAVE APP. 30-35 LOGS LEFT,I WAS POSTING THIS FORUM TO TRY TO FIND A VALUE FOR OSAGE ORANGE. THE LOGS ARE ANYWHERE FROM 4-9 FEET LONG (JUST THE STRAIGHT ONES)WITH DIAMETERS RANGING BETWEEN 12" TO 24" THANKS FOR THE REPLIES FELLOW ARBOR SITERS.

Osage orange logs

I would be interested in buying logs 7'long or 14'long for fence posts. Where is Williamsburg, PA? Just wanted to see whether the trip would be worth making-I am just south of Baltimore, Md call me at 301 261-6069 to discuss further. Thanks, Dave:blob2:

I would be interested in buying logs 7'long or 14'long for fence posts. Where is Williamsburg, PA? Just wanted to see whether the trip would be worth making-I am just south of Baltimore, Md call me at 301 261-6069 to discuss further. Thanks, Dave:blob2:

what size in diameter would you prefer Dave? (rough estimate)

directions

Dave, forgot to ad this: Williamsburg is app. 3-4 hours away from Baltimore if i remember right. I used to go to Ocean City when i was a kid and that took about 4.5 hours . Anyway, Williamsburg is also near Altoona,Huntingdon,Hollidaysburg,Roaring Spring.

Osage orange logs

Derby guy: I have been paying $.65/board foot Doyle for osage orange and black locust here. Do you have a loader on site? Also, I would want primarily the biggest logs I gould get, although to stack most efficiently on a box trailer would probably have to take a few smaller ones too. Let me know if this would be sufficient. 301-261-6069:biggrinbounce2:

Back