OSB Plans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I can see the end is near for my splitter build so...

Are there any plans out there for building your own OWB? I have a copy of the Hardy manual and it is quite detailed on the plumbing and stuff. Anyone have any outside the box ideas on building a OWB?

Thanks
John

There are no good plans that I found, at least not the dimensioned drawing type of plans. I think a few places were offering to sell "plans", but as far as I could tell they were not any better than what you can find for free. There are several good build threads on this site to get ideas from though with a quick search.

John, I built my boiler 2 years ago. It works fantastic. I would be willing to share info on it if you would pm me. you may have seen it in some of the pictures in my splitter project thread.

I wish there were plans for an OWB. I'm going to be starting a build soon, (as soon as I get my firewood processor finished), and I know what I WANT to do, but it would be beyond helpful if I had something to go by to confirm the way I'm going to do things. For example, I want an area under the fire to serve as the ash pan area. I also want to feed air to the fire from underneath it. P&M does this as well as a couple of other manufacturers, but the question I have is why doesn't the ash get blown all over the place from the forced air that's in the same ash pan chamber? As far as that goes, why does the ash even fall into the ash pan with the air trying to force it back up in the first place? And does that ash pan area sit right on the bottom of the water jacket or is it suspended so the water is under it? Same thing with P&M's exhaust stack routing. It goes from the rear, top of the firebox, comes forward to the front of the firebox, makes a 180 degree turn and heads towards the rear again where it exits to the outside. Is that whole assembly built IN the firebox or is it sticking up on top of the firebox in the water jacket? Each way would appear to have its' advantages.

I don't want to have the old 'I should have' regrets after building this thing!

owb plans

I went with a round burn chamber design for longer life, stronger design, and easier build I went with a 1/2" thick 42" dia. burn chamber and a 3/4" thick 52" dia. water jacket. if u want a similar design, pm me. I know where u can get pipe for scrap price.

I went with a round burn chamber design for longer life, stronger design, and easier build I went with a 1/2" thick 42" dia. burn chamber and a 3/4" thick 52" dia. water jacket. if u want a similar design, pm me. I know where u can get pipe for scrap price.

Thanks for the offer but that might be a bit of a ride for me to pick it up, your close enough to hit Chicago with a wrist rocket almost and I can hit Arkansas with one for sure from here. Just curious did you offset the burn chamber or center it up? Not much difference in size for sure.

Thanks
John

Here's some reading for you (don't worry - lots of pictures too. :hmm3grin2orange:) I'm sure you could find more with a more extensive search. You may have to scale off your computer monitor for build plans - hope you're not using a smart phone!

H-Ranch, thanks for all the links you are the googlemaster! :bowdown: It will take me a while to read through all of them.

John

Latest posts

Back