ouch!!!!!! it hurts to climb again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beowulf: i did not have my lanyard double wrapped. i did think about that after the fact.. my back still hurts pretty bad today.

Jim1NZ said:
I hate climbing with a chainsaw! Im with you treeseer

Agree. IF ... IF... I am going to use a chainsaw, I usually tie it to the tail of my climbing line and pull it up after I am safely secured in the canopy. But, Treeseer has me at least thinking twice before I scabbard the Sugoi and haul up the 200t.

A hard maple did that to me once too. I had tree rash all over the inside of my arms and on my chin! Slippery buggers.

second tree: spiking up a small maple for a removal, about 20ft up my spurs popped out and sent me to the ground on my back! my lanyard never did catch and stop me, maple was too slick and had no branches where i was. by the time i was half way down the weight of my 019T had me pulled sideways in the air. i landed right beside my saw.

A hard maple did that to me once too. I had tree rash all over the inside of my arms and on my chin! I did manage to break the slide somehow and didnt hit the ground.

Pics...

Theres a pic somewhere of an 84 yr old guy blocking ("Bucking") down a big tree; we had an American guy (climber, he's in all the Sherrill catalogues, in his forties I think stocky guy not real tall, sorry dont recall his name, supposed to be one of the top guys around) do a lecture at GreenX Brisbane Aus' (Industry exihibition) last year was showing us some pics...

cortizone shots

like magic for those hurtin' joints. Although doc says three times max, and then its surgery time.

bugger!why is this job so compelling

After my last interaction with this site, my son and I ( he to be trained professionally!) had to take out the top of a "cedrus atlantica" and reshape one side. He wanted to do all the climbing and cutting, but I wanted to too!!!!!! Isn't it great to be hanging upside down off a rope? Especially at my age??????????

Old timer.:jester:

OK, this is good news... I think.

At 46 and climbing for the first time in years... first time ever in trees, I'm aching and moaning myself to sleep every night.

So, does it ever stop hurting, at my, uh... advanced age?

I've been lurking here awhile, this is my first post. I can say without a doubt this site has saved me much time, aggravation, pain... probably my butt. This is an unexpected 'career' change for me... never woulda thought I'd be a greenhorn again at this age. I've been thinking on it ever since Hurricane Fran and a near miss with a windthrown oak started me learning seriously about treework... now I'm doing it.

Thanks to you folks for sharing your knowledge so generously.

I'm serious about that vitamin C. It works. I'm 50 (not really, that's just what the calendar says) and have been splitting wood like a madman lately. Very little soreness. Oh, and before I split it I have to haul it, and I'm getting rounds that are typically 20 - 24" thick and from 18" to 36" across. I'm stacking those by hand. The big ones at ground level, obviously, but the smaller ones do get lifted. When I say small, I mean stuff up to 24" or so. Rolled up a ramp sometimes, but it's still hard work. And the big ones get rolled off the truck and manhandled into place, so there's a lot of pushing and shoving. Feeling great!

You should also be taking glucosamine and chondroiton. Those for your joints and the C for your ligaments & muscles.

The best medicine, though is treeseer's attitude.

treeseer said:
Young 55, 20 more years in the saddle to go.

[welcome aboard] BLINKY

dont worry about the pain,the more you do the easier it gets ,after starting to climb again it took three weeks to get in any shape ,but it still hurts somtimes,when it does i know i am working harder and thats good . my 16year old son who is in training with a local tree care company still cant match me yet now iam nearly fit ..and yes BLUE RIDGE MARK is right vitamins do help yours. old timer

Here, here!

BlueRidgeMark said:
I'm serious about that vitamin C. It works. I'm 50 (not really, that's just what the calendar says) and have been splitting wood like a madman lately. Very little soreness. Oh, and before I split it I have to haul it, and I'm getting rounds that are typically 20 - 24" thick and from 18" to 36" across. I'm stacking those by hand. The big ones at ground level, obviously, but the smaller ones do get lifted. When I say small, I mean stuff up to 24" or so. Rolled up a ramp sometimes, but it's still hard work. And the big ones get rolled off the truck and manhandled into place, so there's a lot of pushing and shoving. Feeling great!

You should also be taking glucosamine and chondroiton. Those for your joints and the C for your ligaments & muscles.

The best medicine, though is treeseer's attitude.

Great words of advice BRM, I always take Vit D or fish oil capsules to carry all that goodness you mentioned above into the cells or it mostly washes through, also take creatine and find that keeps me very fit in between not climbing or sustains my levels of fitness...

How do you take your Vit C ?

I take the buffered kind, powder, in a glass of water. (Im sensitive to acids.) Toss in a couple of heaping teaspoonsful, stir, and down it goes. I'm using a brand that has a lot of bioflavinoids. Looks like compost and tastes like dirt! :D But so what? It's only a quick few gulps of nasty. Big deal! I don't understand grown people who always have to have everything nice and sweet.

I've been considering the creatine. What kind are you using? How do you take it? So far, I've only read a bit about it.

creatine

I just asked some of the gym rats in the office here. I guess "everyone" is using this stuff (except me). Supposedly it will help you get stronger and it tastes awful.

I haven't used the stuff since College 95-99. I always bought the EAS brand but I know there are more brands out now. The stuff I used really tasted like nothing. Just mixed it with water. I guess if You use some type of juice it helps to dissolve it better but I just used water. It kind of works like steriods in that it allows your body to retain more water in the muscles which helps. That is why you see your local gym juicer who looks swollen. Its effect are less than a steriod and less side effects. Warning though, when I took it there wasn't any long term studies done on the long lasting effects of creatine supplements. They may have some now but you might want to research it. Also none of these products are governed by the FDA. So stay with a reliable brand and look at the content label to see the amount of creatine in a serving. Some brands will be cheaper because of less creatine.

Latest posts

Back