Ouch! tree partially cut in error...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vessels of a ring-porous tree (such as a red oak) are generally larger and concentrated in the outermost layer of sapwood. These vessels are produced early in the season. This is significant because it affects a tree's susceptibility to vascular damage. Ring-porous vascular systems are very efficient, but are much more vulnerable to blockage. The elm's vulnerability to Dutch elm disease is an case in point.

In the case of this Red Oak, you may end up losing branches on the cut side of the tree if the vascular tissue has been completely severed. I say MAY - this is not a guarantee so don't go out and cut it down based off of my projection alone. If the tree were a larger dbh, I would think this cut to be less of an issue; however, since the cut went about 1/5 of the way in, it is very probable that the vascular tissue on that side of the tree is not going to be able to transport nutrients. The cut tissue will never heal. Trees are NOT like people. The tree will try to 'wall' off the damage and cover up ('heal') around the wound but, the cut portion will likely never transfer nutrients again.

As Arborpro stated above - a ring porous tree is likely to suffer significantly from this type of wound. Sealing of wounds is not the regeneration of vascular tissue. Water conducting vessels cut won't reconnect.

I don't think the tree will be "fine." I've seen too much damage and death in red oaks with just a few roots cut.

Because they are ring-porous, I've seen die back in the crown of a red oak in as little as a few hours on a hot summer day with a water stressed tree.

It scares the hell out of the trenching contractors when it happens and lets lay people understand that cutting roots (or trunks) can have dire consequences.

I sometimes wish all trees were ring porous so contractors and homeowners alike would respect trees and tree roots a little more.

The paper tape I mentioned ( also called Tree Wrap around here) is light brown in color with a black backing and is typically used by nurseries (needlessly) to wrap young tree trunks.

I have found that it can sometimes help trunk wounds if applied immediately after the bark is damaged when Uncle Henry backs the Desoto into Grannie's tree.

Several hours or days after the fact, I would question its efficacy.

Tree Wrap does kill mistletoe (by blocking sunlight) if you can keep the wrap on the affected limb for 2 growing seasons.

im sure you do question it......
yet you admit its pros......

i say tree lives. just keep an eye on it. the initial damage should be evident by now and can be assesed properly with PICS. future liability should be as well.

im sure you do question it......
yet you admit its pros......

i say tree lives. just keep an eye on it. the initial damage should be evident by now and can be assesed properly with PICS. future liability should be as well.

I don't think anyone said the tree will necessarily die. However, you're now looking at a tree faced with a crown dieback of around 30-35% - similar to trenching right up close on one side of the tree. The subsequent stress put on the tree from the crown dieback will not only look rough because it will all be concentrated to one side of the tree but, it will also weaken the tree's energy reserves by using up energy to replace the lost vegetation. That's when other factors will come into play such as weak shoot growth and increased susceptibility to injury, disease and environmental stress.

It's a bit like a person who goes in for a limb amputation and dies from a staff infection or pneumonia during recovery. The original damage to the tissue isn't what causes death - it's the weakening of the immunity system from extreme stress that opens up the door to other problems that wouldn't otherwise be a problem. The cut on this tree may not cause it's death right away but, it likely will cause problems down the road and very well shorten its lifespan dramatically.

Root compaction, over-watering, girdling roots, etc etc etc - they all do the same thing which is stress out a tree and kill it over time - a slow lingering death...

I don't think anyone said the tree will necessarily die. However, you're now looking at a tree faced with a crown dieback of around 30-35%

How do you know this?

Important to maximize root function to speed growth of scar tissue. weed and mulch for starters.

cover wound for two weeks with any tape or plastic, then remove it and leave wound. this will speed up the forming of the callas tissues. leaving it sealed might cause more problems like excessive moisture and rot spreading.

My thoughts, for what it's worth...:givebeer:

How do you know this?

Important to maximize root function to speed growth of scar tissue. weed and mulch for starters.

I don't 'know' anything for certain. Trees, like all living organisms are capable of overcoming extreme duress. I'm just projecting what I believe will happen based on the biology of trees - specifically ring-porous ones. If I'm wrong - so be it. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last. Just offering my opinion here. :)

1 week update

1 week update:

There is no evidence of distress observable in the crown yet. Sorry but you'll have to take my word for it as I've only a basic digital camera which probably wouldn't even let you discern any wilted leaves 50-60ft up even if they were there. Now I do not report this with a beaming ear-to-ear smile as I'm still concerned and don't view 1 week as all that significant but you guys keep on posting to this thread so I felt obliged. I'll keep an eye on it and hope to not have to turn it into firewood.

Thanks, Ed

Bridge grafting like on apple trees damaged by rabbits. dont know if it works on other trees or not??????

this was my thought when I started to read this thread, take some cuttings of the tree's existing branches and fill the cut with them and adding some rooting hormone, I really have no clue, and am not adverse to admitting it as most know, but I have to agree that sealing it for any amount of time will lead to bigger problems in the future. The cut sounds faily severe, but trees are pretty amazing critters (yes, I do think of trees as critters kind-of). Ideally there is enough energy flowing around the wound to generate callous and natural sealing of the cut.
when all else fails coat wound with honey, well, um, it use to work with severed limbs 2000 years ago :( that was jk btw, but as a thought, has anyone tried using tree sap (as in the sap from the origional variety) to seal wound?

Just wondering on this fine half drunken Sunday afternoon :D

:cheers:

Serge

26 days since cut...

Typical summer heat, moderate rainfall for region and time of year: Again, there is no evidence of distress observable in the crown yet.

Lucky, too early to tell??? Will keep watching.

Research study

I see a research study needing to be done. Imagine the millions of trees that have injuries that each get the local standard practice and no one benefits from knowing if one method is more effective than another. Everyone continues to treat or recommend treatment based on their experience, with limited opportunity for long term assessment.

What I think is needed is controlled reproducible injuries with various treatments of the wound. Long term assessment with necropsy some years later with an analysis of the site of injury and decree of rot versus revascularization through the injury will show what treatments had the best effects. This probably would need to be done for numerous families of trees.

This can be done by an organization with something to gain. This could be a state with a large forest that is harvested, in which a future harvest is planned. Reproducibly injure some trees and treat various ways, with adequate numbers of each method to avoid random effects of other stresses. The injury can be small...the outcome would be degree of healing, not survival or death, and that can be judged from smaller non-lethal injuries on sizable trees.

Anyone out there who can get someone to do this? I would think a state with a good agricultural extension system would be able to get this done, and have an interest in the results. Armed with the results of such a study, we can stop speculating, or start speculating on the fine nuances of how to improve on the best method found, or we could start further studies on how to seal the limb slice that gets used to stuff the wound to stimulate healing.:)

Might there be any such literature already published that we are all ignoring?

Good record keeping is essential.

2 month update

It has been 2 summer months, slightly higher than normal rainfall/slightly cooler than normal weather. The crown on cut side of trunk is not any visibly different than opposite side. Tree looks good overall. Lucky or still too early to tell?

Great answer !

Ok, now that I've given my smart*ss response to the question at hand, here's my technical response:

Some trees are ring-porous, some are diffuse-porous. ....

If the duct tape idea makes you feel better, go for it but, I'd use green tape, not black - green is prettier.

This little animation is for whomever made the cut... :buttkick:

Thanks for the refresher course. I'd have rep'ed you, but I wore the button out already.

Latest posts

Back