Our family cabin in the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MVC-009S_1.JPG

MVC-010S_1.JPG

Railing going down.

MVC-012S_1.JPG

Railing joint and you can see the steps are dovetailed in the siderails.

Well, that's it. Hope all of you guys and gals have a Very Merry Christmas!

Nice.

I tell you, looking at the first couple pics... I've torn down buildings that looked brand new compared to that place!

Very cool stuff!!!

Reminds me of a documentary I saw about a guy who moved to Alaska at age 50ish to escape the everyday hustle and bustle we call life. He built a small cabin in the middle of nowhere all by hand. He made a lot of the tools he used. He carried the logs to the site on his shoulders and hewed them by hand. He got the fireplace rocks from the riverbed. He lived there for 30 years until he was around 80. I think he had grown kids when he started. Very fascinating to watch. This guy was incredible. His will was made of iron. He easily could have starved or froze, or been mauled by a bear. I believe it was called "Into the wilderness", or something along those lines. Old footage, and all 100% real, not like the reality crap they show on tv. He set up his own tripod and documented it himself.

Anyways, enjoy the "new" retreat!!!

Very cool stuff!!!

Reminds me of a documentary I saw about a guy who moved to Alaska at age 50ish to escape the everyday hustle and bustle we call life. He built a small cabin in the middle of nowhere all by hand. He made a lot of the tools he used. He carried the logs to the site on his shoulders and hewed them by hand. He got the fireplace rocks from the riverbed. He lived there for 30 years until he was around 80. I think he had grown kids when he started. Very fascinating to watch. This guy was incredible. His will was made of iron. He easily could have starved or froze, or been mauled by a bear. I believe it was called "Into the wilderness", or something along those lines. Old footage, and all 100% real, not like the reality crap they show on tv. He set up his own tripod and documented it himself.

I hunted near where **** built that cabin, as I didn't live too far from there.... They didn't tell you on the show about all the folks that came by and gave him food and other things. He was VERY skilled, but he never would have made it out there without the help he got.

SR

I hunted near where **** built that cabin, as I didn't live too far from there.... They didn't tell you on the show about all the folks that came by and gave him food and other things. He was VERY skilled, but he never would have made it out there without the help he got.

SR

I suppose Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real either.....hmmmm Rob???

Why do you have to ruin everything man??? Not cool!!!

I suppose Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny aren't real either.....hmmmm Rob???
Why do you have to ruin everything man??? Not cool!!!

Sorry man, D-i-c-k was one he!! of a guy, he was great enough that he didn't need a television boost!

Not many folks can do what HE did, no matter if he did get some help along the way. Folks would not have helped him out, if he wouldn't have been so well liked.

I remember seeing books of his in town, giving him a bit of income, so he could buy some things he needed.

SR

Nicely done!!

There's a tv show on DIY Chanel called Barnwood Builders where they salvage old cabins like this. You should be on that show. Glad to see people preserving family history.

Well my day just got a whole lot better just by reading this thread and viewing the pics:numberone: Watching the gradual progression of the project was almost like being there. And now that it's all done kinda makes ya want to stop by for a hot cider by the woodstove;). Very nicely done!

Very cool stuff!!!

Dock Proenekke. Actually a fair amount of homesteaders here like him, just he happened to video tape it.

He worked as a mechanic in Kodiak for many years before building the cabin. Not really "hustle and bustle" on Kodiak... "everyone knows your bame" type place.

His cabin was up by Twin Lakes. Not sure if it's still there or not, he passed away in 03 and moved out if the cabin in the 90s.

Back