Out of curiosity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down here?

Swamp Chestnut Oak, Live Oak, Pignut Hickory unless its very green or quite dry. Hickory left in the log for a year? Good luck. I couldn't get my Fiskars to make a mark, let alone stick, in ANY round I cut last weekend.

FLH? If you come down for bike week, I'll stick a pair of 20" x 8' of trunk wood on your trailer for you next to your machina.

If I do wonder down for bike week, I NEVER trailer my bike. I heard that was the law! :cheers: Although I might be tempted with the offer of indestructible wood. :msp_biggrin:

If I do wonder down for bike week, I NEVER trailer my bike. I heard that was the law! :cheers: Although I might be tempted with the offer of indestructible wood. :msp_biggrin:
Ya got that right, If ya can't ride it ya don't need to go.:msp_thumbup:We used to ride those hardtail harley choppers for many miles when i was a young pup. Don't know if the backside could take it today.:hmm3grin2orange:

Do you split by hand only or do you have a splitter?

I only split by hand! So far this season I have split n stacked a bit over 8 cord. I have had different ones offer their hydraulic splitters, but I turned em down. I appreciate the workout I get every time I go out to split wood. Even if the axe bounces off the round a hundred times, it's still great exercise.

Ya got that right, If ya can't ride it ya don't need to go.:msp_thumbup:We used to ride those hardtail harley choppers for many miles when i was a young pup. Don't know if the backside could take it today.:hmm3grin2orange:

I know I couldn't ride a hardtail since my tail has been hardened with that hardware store in my back from my last wreck a few years back. That was rough! Still, I seem to be a glutton for punishment and wouldn't mind riding one, one more time.
View attachment 284235

I know I couldn't ride a hardtail since my tail has been hardened with that hardware store in my back from my last wreck a few years back. That was rough! Still, I seem to be a glutton for punishment and wouldn't mind riding one, one more time.
View attachment 284235
Oh goodness, That is a lot of screws. Does it still bother you?

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll make a list and see if I can find more than a few rounds of the various kinds to keep me busy at least for a while. :msp_w00t:
woodcutter-smiley_zps2e644735.gif

I want the hardest wood for the best workouts. Eventually the wood will split, which is why I want quite a few of the various rounds. It'd be like going to the gym and playing on their toys without having to leave home.

I only split by hand! So far this season I have split n stacked a bit over 8 cord. I have had different ones offer their hydraulic splitters, but I turned em down. I appreciate the workout I get every time I go out to split wood. Even if the axe bounces off the round a hundred times, it's still great exercise.

It adds up, doesnt it? Little bit every day....

View attachment 284235

And you still split wood with that injury you are tough!:rock:

Oh goodness, That is a lot of screws. Does it still bother you?

They had to do dual back surgery opening me up from the abdomen to put in the two lag bolts with washers and 2 new discs. Then from the back side they put the other hardware in. (6 pedicle screws with the 2 vertical rods and one horizontal stabilizer)

Honestly there hasn't been a day since the surgery that it hasn't hurt, but I tend to ignore it now. What bothers me the most is I have little feeling in my legs n feet but it doesn't stop me from felling, limbing, bucking and splitting the rounds nor does it stop me from riding. Even riding cross country and camping out along the way.

I was back riding within 6 weeks of the surgery. (to my doctors horror :hmm3grin2orange: )

They had to do dual back surgery opening me up from the abdomen to put in the two lag bolts with washers and 2 new discs. Then from the back side they put the other hardware in. (6 pedicle screws with the 2 vertical rods and one horizontal stabilizer)

Honestly there hasn't been a day since the surgery that it hasn't hurt, but I tend to ignore it now. What bothers me the most is I have little feeling in my legs n feet but it doesn't stop me from felling, limbing, bucking and splitting the rounds nor does it stop me from riding. Even riding cross country and camping out along the way.

I was back riding within 6 weeks of the surgery. (to my doctors horror :hmm3grin2orange: )
I know Green Berets that wouldn't do what you do with those types of injuries.:bowdown:

I know Green Berets that wouldn't do what you do with those types of injuries.:bowdown:

Considering the extent of my injuries: broken back, broken ribs, tore up guts, had the thumb on my left hand almost torn off (I'm left handed now with a titanium rod in it) I am thankful to be able to do what I can. After all, it could have been worse. I was thrown into oncoming traffic and thankfully the minivan stopped a few feet from my head or I would have been a case of road pizza with extra sauce. :dizzy:

Considering the extent of my injuries: broken back, broken ribs, tore up guts, had the thumb on my left hand almost torn off (I'm left handed now with a titanium rod in it) I am thankful to be able to do what I can. After all, it could have been worse. I was thrown into oncoming traffic and thankfully the minivan stopped a few feet from my head or I would have been a case of road pizza with extra sauce. :dizzy:

How long till you rode again?

Actually I'm looking for the hardest of woods so that I can round up at least a cord or so of that to keep me in shape for the rest of the year. Heck, I have a boulder sticking out of the hillside in back of the house that I want gone and I'm already planning to split it up with an axe. Not that it will work, but I have to at least try it after I remove the dirt n stuff from on top and around it. :hmm3grin2orange: I don't expect the axe to survive. (True Temper 4# splitting axe)

Be like the Egyptians, cut ya some poles for rollers and pull that bad boy outta there. Or get that Jawz guy from "Pale Rider" to stop by for coffee and hand him a sledge:msp_tongue:

Yep, REALLY! The first few weeks after the surgery were rough, but I went from using a walker to using a cane and finally walking upwards of 7 miles a day on smooth roads. Sometimes I would even take to the woods n hills for more of a challenge.

So that's how to get back with walking exercise huh? What else any supplements?

Back