Outboard clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The two ways I've been shown to remove an outboard clutch are:

1) remove the spark plug, block the piston using a length of rope and then wrench the nut off.

2) Use an impact wrench to spin the nut off the crankshaft.

I have heard that the impact wrench method can potentially damage the crankshaft. Is there any truth to this? What do you recommend?

I personally don't believe that the impact will do any damage, considering it barely has to work at all to spin the nut off. However, I prefer the rope and wrench method because: A) It's portable and B) not much setup involved.

Besides, since the clutch pack is usually screwed on separate from the nut, you'll have to drag the rope out for that anyway. Unless you plan on hitting the spider with a hammer and cold chisel.

In the wrong hands, an impact can do a lot of damage. Biggest thing I've run across is when you don't make sure the nut is fully engaged on the threads. If it's just hanging by half a thread and you hit it with the impact you're almost guaranteed cross-threading. And it's hard, if not impossible, to find a left-handed metric die-nut.

Chris B.

I have seen impact tools damage flywheel keys. Some saw flywheel have an integral key, break the key throw the flywheel away.

I have used an impact on them for over 28 years and not had a problem yet. Just don't use the piston stop when using the impact. The only time I ever had a problem was when I decided to us a piston stop tool and a pull handle on an 021 Stihl shoved the piston stop right through the top of the piston.

Back