Outdoor Forced Air Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody out there have one? Any input would be helpful. I've already searched threads without much success.

I have one of these that I have used for a test case and have been happy with it.
I have an wood add on furnace that can be an additional heat source for a home in a metal garden shed very close to the house and have heat and return ducts run from the shed through a basement window and it has worked well. It was a crude experiment that I keep tweaking and adjusting. I can get a weeks worth of wood in the shed at a time. It is just one of those garden sheds that you can buy and I run the ducting through the side of the shed into a small basement window. The heat and return duct are run inside a rectangular duct that are closed off at each and, insulated, and spray foamed to keep critters out.
This was an experiment as I have said before and it has worked well enough to keep the LP man home. We burned about 150 gallons of propane last winter and I live about 1.5hr NE of Minneapolis/St. Paul.
I do need to tie the ducting into my furnace ducting one day, but I am still happy with the results.
The thing I like about it is the wood and mess is outside and I do not have to worry about a chimney fire so muchi, but it is definately not as efficient as having the furnace in the house and getting all of the heat.
Just the results of an experiment to save money.
Scott

I have one, in a metal shed with duct work tied into the original ducts under my home. I love it and it was less than 500.00 and about 3 days to put it all together. I got a used Yukon wood/oil furnace for 100.00 and a free metal shed. Had to buy insulated duct work new. We heated last winter and only ran the LP furnace two days(due to duct repairs). It has saved me thousands last season and will keep on saving me for a long time. A nice cheap investment that has paid me back several times over. This year I will re-work my duct work for about 200.00 and that's it.

Did you have to add any insulation to the outer jacket to control heat loss?
I've found three companies that make forced air units designed for outside use for a small stack of bills more than the inside units. How about the smoke factor. do they produce as much smoke as a conventional boiler and what is your approximate wood useage for a typical winter?

You can put our Yukons in sheds, however the shed should be insulated to achieve the desired results.

I have one, in a metal shed with duct work tied into the original ducts under my home. I love it and it was less than 500.00 and about 3 days to put it all together. I got a used Yukon wood/oil furnace for 100.00 and a free metal shed. Had to buy insulated duct work new. We heated last winter and only ran the LP furnace two days(due to duct repairs). It has saved me thousands last season and will keep on saving me for a long time. A nice cheap investment that has paid me back several times over. This year I will re-work my duct work for about 200.00 and that's it.

If you ever need anything for your Yukon,just call us.
I'm glad to see she's still in service!

Back