outdoor stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Doom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Did a search, didn't find info I wanted. New to the outdoor stove ball game. Would like to know some basics on what to look for in one.

I know this is terrible, I have no clue.:buttkick:

Did a search, didn't find info I wanted. New to the outdoor stove ball game. Would like to know some basics on what to look for in one.

I know this is terrible, I have no clue.:buttkick:

If you mean an Outdoor Wood Boiler, I think Central Boiler is a good place to start...www.centralboiler.com/

Check out Empyre, There gassifier unit is a good place to start. Plus they conform to epa standards for the $1500 tax credit...Charlie

Back when I was in your shoes I read everything I could to help make my decision.

I chose a Shaver. It has the thickest fire box and had the lowst sticker price. those two things sold me.

Although after one heating season I have to admit that I found that the Shaver didn't come without needing "extras"

Extra insulation

Better thermostat

Over all, I admit I am satisfied with it.

My main gripe with the company was the run-a-round they gave all their customers on delivery and out right lies when I called and ask about it.

I hear that Central Boiler is a pretty good furnace. At least I can say that I never heard any owner complain about them other than not having an ash pan.

I also heard that Nature's Comfort is basically a Shaver with all the improvements. If I were to buy another furnace tomorrow, it would be a Nature's Comfort.

Things to consider;

I hear that there are some problems with stainless steel fire boxes leaking on some brands. (cracks in welds from heat expanding it)

Get one with a blower for the draft.

The more water it holds, the better.

Make sure the underground pex is well insulated. If you can afford it get the good stuff (Logster)

Another vote to stay away from Hawken

Isn't Empyre a copy of the Central Boiler firebox?

Flashy, i do believe they are. But my pro gasser unit has a different burnbox. and if the guy above wants any owb, he should just get a gasser, they make more sense...and there not as pricey as the e series...:givebeer:

Shaver sold me on all the built like a tank slogan and had a bad exsperiance with it. Stay away from shaver I ended up with a Natures comfort and love it. Buy one that doesnt have micro computers, also buy one with a draft blower this will help with the burning on greener wood although I dont know how many boilers come without them anymore. Steel all the way do your homework and take care of the chemicals and the stove will last for a long time. Stainless stoves are thinner and yes some do rust threw at the welds. Big door!!! the shaver had a finger smashing door size. Natures Comfort has a larger door and it is so much nicer loading wood.
hope some of this helps, Jay

Seems like everybody thats got a CB is a happy camper. The only reason I didn't buy one is I poured a concrete pad suited for a Hawken. Water lines come out the back. Ended up not purchasing the Hawken which from the chat on here seems like someone was watching out for me up above. After the pad was poured and the whole Hawken deal fell through I went to see the CB dealer. Loved everything I saw except the lines came out of the side of the stove, not the back. I mentioned to the CB dealer there was a Taylor dealer close to me. He proceeded to show me his 20 year old Taylor he heated his house with before he became a CB dealer. The lines form the Taylor stove came out the back like the Hawken so it worked well with the pad I poured. Everything I read was good about Taylor. Bought a Taylor 450, used it one season, so far very happy.

Good luck, its a big investment.

When I was shopping I found that every company claimed to be the best and the rest were the worst. So I spoke to a ton of people that had them. I found that almost everyone liked there Central boiler and Woodmaster. So I went with the wood master and the only reason was the dealer is like 2 minutes from my house so and is a great guy so if my stove breaks and 10:00 pm he will help me. I thought that was a very important part. And I love my wood master no problems to date 2nd year using it.

went with the central boiler. Seem to have their crap together. The dealer isn't to far away so that is a plus also. Now we are putting up a roof for it. Sawed some big poles off the power line, they turned out to be cedar.

if the central boiler had an ash pan it would be damn near perfect.

How you figure that????? :monkey: Let it burn down some push the hot coals to the back and shovel out the dead stuff. No grates or movin parts to deal with....IMO. My CB5648 is bout as perfect gets, set it and forget it :cheers:

Check out the new gasser from Woodmaster. They've teamed up with a European manufacturer to design theirs... might be a good design to look at....

Chris

Latest posts

Back