outdoor wood boilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooddog 066

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanting to see some of the guys setups on outside boiler and what they have i am excited mine is going to be delivered in 12 days also how often do ya feed them and are ya happy with the performance?

I love mine, couldn't be anymore happy. I have a Woodmaster 5500 heating 4,000 sq ft and my 30x40 barn. I fill twice a day under 30 morning and evening, once a day over 30. Good advice to only feed her what ya have to.

Yeah it will be nice only feedin once or twice a day due to my little boiler i have now 90,000 btu/hr and the biggest log being 18" able to fit in door do any of you guys have pics of your setups out there i can see its neat because everyone does things a little different!!!:cheers:

Be prepared for the greenies to come knockin' to shut down your OWB. In Indiana they're closing in and grandfathering doesn't apply.

dont have to worry about that i am surrounded by cornfields and farmers "WOOD BURNING STOVE NO NATURAL GAS IF THAT AINT COUNTRY I'LL KISS YOUR A@@!!!:cheers:

Be prepared for the greenies to come knockin' to shut down your OWB. In Indiana they're closing in and grandfathering doesn't apply.

PA is toying with some sort of regs also. I wrote letters and sent petitions to the DEP and spoke with my state reps regarding this proposed legislation. It appears as if things are on hold as I was supposed to be notified when decisions were finalized which was to have been in Feb, have heard nothing as of yet.

As far as how often I feed the boiler, depends on temp and what zones I have turned on. If I am just doing the house, 1800 sq ft, like now with temps in the 30's at night and 50's during the day, 3-4 of about 8-10 inch logs will do me for 24 hours. When it is 0 out and I am heating the house, garage and pole building, well lets just say it is a bit more!

Yeah i like to hear all the little things i know they burn wood some guys say 10 cord a year some say 20 cord so who knows what there setups are but still love to cut so it will be a great hobby cant wait to get it:chainsaw:

You love to cut wood huh? So did I when I was 29. I'm 47 tomorrow and don't like it quite as much as I did when I was a young buck like you. That's why I bought a gassifier. It does take less wood for certain. The OWB use twice the wood but almost bought a CB 5036, it was 3k more than my eko 25 so I went with the EKO. If they were the same price I'd gone with the CB so I don't have to split and could cut 30" logs instead of 18" and split. The choice is yours, you go gasser and cut half the wood and split everything in 5"x5" @ 18" or cut twice the wood and split very little. My neighbor has a CB 5036 and goes through 8 cords, I go through 3, same size house.

Cb 6048

I love it!!!

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=77553

Last edited:
cb5036
10 cords/year doing 3700sf, 10' ceilings, 17' ceilings in very large room, hot water (2 teenagers)

The key is to learn how large you can feed it without splitting and to fill the firebox the least possible to meet the heat needs between feedings - this will really cut your wood use.

I love my OWB and will never give it up. I have learned to automate as much of teh firewood work as possible, split as little as possible (I like to grab the 4-8" limbs even)

I like feeding it pine in the early fall and late spring - makes good use of some wood that is otherwise easy to get but most folks don't want.

Yeah i bought a freeheat machine model 90 it takes a 44" log but i agee fellas if its whole and can fit in the door i am burnin it i appreciate all the input on these my buddy has a cb5036 and loves his too keep the threads coming!!!!

When you guys burn pine do ya mix hardwoods with it or run it straight i know you dont get the BTUS or have a lot of creasote just was wondering?

I chose not to burn pine in my stove. Tried hemlock but it was really not worth it. You use the same amount of effort and time to cut and haul pine and softwoods as you do for hardwoods. For much less burn time. Did not make sense to me after I tried some the first year. After that experience I made a decision to only cut better wood. I am fortunate in that I own 285 acres of woods. I had a select cut timbering done a few years ago. Plenty of oak tops and there is quite a bit of fallen oak and standing dead to cut. Works for me.

When you guys burn pine do ya mix hardwoods with it or run it straight i know you dont get the BTUS or have a lot of creasote just was wondering?

we heated all last winter with strictly pine, some popular burned 10 cord from december 1st to april 1st 3500sq ft, DHW, floor heat in the garage and porch, also heats my clothes dryer for laundry and made my own wall mounted-time delay hands dryer for the bathroom.

i was given dibs on the tops of a near by logged area, scotch pine so i got crackin' and i took a falling apart 79 blazer, made my own boom, mounted a cylinder to lift, and made my own grapple, hydraulically controlled as well, and i spent 2 weeks and skidded out ~75 cord of tops starting 12" in diameter, up to 20ft long.

i take every chance i get to avoid burning hardwood, it's strictly last resort. only because it's heavy to move, i don't have much of it, and no one wants to give it up.

Next project is a take a chevy 350 and put it on this hammer mill i bought for $100 and make 1" plates to mulch up all the limbs from those tops, leaves, yard waste, etc etc :D

i rarely burn firewood during the summer months. for every cord i split on the weekend, everything that falls next to the splitter is plenty to get by for the weekdays, by the next weekend of splitting, i'll have another weeks worth of bark/splinters to burn. it's a good cycle. by the start of december, i actually start burning the softwood.

Back