Outraged.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are simply trolling to see who falls for your "rant," right? If not, I have to say, with whatever amount of respect I can muster, "Man, you need to take some classes!" The Lorax is a commentary on the value of trees and the wasteful, greedy aspects of big business as it upsets the balance of nature with tactics such as clear cutting. This story and its characters are on our side, unless you are a fool who conducts your business as the destroyers of the forest did, theirs. Come on, 'fess up, you are joking, here! You apparently did pull a "gotcha" on more than a few. Nice going.

Clear cutting is bad? How so?

I think he needs to read up on some silviculture before he makes that assumption.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_009105.pdf

Gee, thanks, but I know all about what was contained in that article. I agree with it. In The Lorax, however, the clear-cutting of the trees was done without a plan, without reseeding, without any consideration for any ecological concerns, whatsoever. It was the wrong thing at the wrong place. I'm not going to get into silly arguments about a Dr. Suess book, for cryin' out loud. The book had great worth, as did the movie, as the same applies to getting kids to think about the ecological implications of the mismanagement of our environment. That's it, for me, in this thread.

Clear cutting is bad? How so?

Lots of reasons, but for starters they looks like ****! Wouldnt bother me so much if a third of it wasn't shipped to china...anyway. Had a lorax moment killing a tree today when homeowner asked if cutting down trees ever bothered me. Hadn't thought about it for a while, not a bad thing to have a lorax moment every now and then.

Last edited:
This is some of the best stuff I ever read on the site. Hahaha. I liked Marvin K. Mooney. I think I'll steer clear of the Lorax. Sound like a rough dude.

but more to the point the industry self-regulated! Which is what all good businesses do, regardless of their size.

Incomplete

I almost fell off my chair. Are you serious with that statement? What type of businesses are you citing here. maybe small owner operators can "self regulate" but if the business grows you can bet it is now about the almighty dollar.

I've had the pleasure of working with large contractors in the past, trust me if they are losing money something will be cut. Whether its safety, quality, environmental, there is a certain amount of profit maintained, at all other cost.

perhaps the best lesson in the movies you refer. Is not to just blindly trust some "individual" or corporation just because they are a "business man" These days the shysters outnumber the good businesses by far

Your attitude of how dare anyone question business is worse, than dr seuss by far.......

Lorax? Hell, what about the movie Avatar? I swear every time I take down a big tree, people look at me like I'm the scar-faced military dude, and I'm destroying the "Hometree" with machine guns and missiles.

Me: "Uh, no ma'am. This tree has a column of rot running down the middle and is a hazard to anyone and anything near it."

Nosey: "Well, it looks fine to me!"

Me: "Oh, are you a certified arborist? Bye bye, now..."

Lorax? Hell, what about the movie Avatar? I swear every time I take down a big tree, people look at me like I'm the scar-faced military dude, and I'm destroying the "Hometree" with machine guns and missiles.

Me: "Uh, no ma'am. This tree has a column of rot running down the middle and is a hazard to anyone and anything near it."

Nosey: "Well, it looks fine to me!"

Me: "Oh, are you a certified arborist? Bye bye, now..."

Don't even get me started on that plagiaristic, unimaginative, paganistic, bastardization of science Dances With Smurfs ;o)

Back