Over pruned willow tree ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roliepoliecoley

Reaction score
Hi,

We are closing on a house this thursday, and when we were walking around the yard I noticed there was an over pruned willow tree ... the branches are trimmed short at the top of the tree and the term "weeping" willow sadly can't be used. It has MANY knots all over the branches as well ... maybe from the previous owners pruning ? If anyone has any information on how to fix this tree it would be greatly appreciated ... I want to return this tree to its full glory : )

Thanks,
Nicole

Nicole,

You should post some pictures. How close is the tree to the house? Do you plan on using the yard around the tree actively? If so there are some things to consider.

Its hard to say without pictures what is going on here. Willows are generally weak wooded and tend to lose limbs during storms. They are usually pruned harder than other trees to reduce liability or repair storm damage. If they are pruned they grow back with suckers.

I don't mean to disappoint you but you'll be hard pressed to find an Arborist that likes willows. As poetic and graceful as they may be, they are a lot of maintenance and a pretty big liability depending on the target.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I felt you should be prepared.

:agree2:

Yep. That and recent clean up from storm damage.

We have had some good windy storms move through here and over to NY.

Larger, older Willows, that weren't maintained got hammered everywhere and it might have just been cleaned up after major damage.

If you want to keep it, wait untill spring to see just how bad it is.

It might have been so hacked up and ugly that it isn't worth waiting 10 years for it to recover, and you'd be better off planting a new tree.

Honestly, willows are pretty, but they are a constant headache.

I wish ya luck!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm not in town at the moment, I will be on saturday and I will post a picture then ! I didn't think to get one this weekend, I was told off-hand that it was a willow and I just kept thinking about a way to make it look better.

The tree is in the corner of the lot and shouldn't see a lot of activity. The worst thing it will probably see is our saint bernard, but chances are he won't even be around it. It is on top of a hill and it's very windy (at least this time of year) so possibly that's why it was pruned so heavily ?

I've always loved willows, I know a lot of people don't agree with me. I do hope I can help it out though : )

Willows are cool trees, but just a pain to maintain. I think it is almost impossible to overprune them myself.........

Nicole, welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing your photo.

Willows can be amazingly resilient and I am with those who like them. They are best out and away where the self-pruning of little limbs won't be a constant headache, but from your description this may be the case.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back