Overhead cookie cutting with Husqvarna's 327PT5S Pole Saw / Mini review.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up this pole saw today and did a small job. This saw comes with a harness that I'm still on the fence about. It does support the weight of the saw but limits you when you're needing to stretch that little extra bit to reach a high branch. Rated at only 1.2 HP I was concerned it might not be powerful enough but it seems to be adequate for a pole saw. Starts are easy and it settles into a nice idle. The 327TP5S seems to be of high quality construction, the slider works well and is very solid (this thing is long). After I cut this limb from over a low TV cable I did some cookie cutting, for fun of course. It has already half way paid for itself on it's first job so I think the 327TP5S will earn it's keep. I tried to find any type of review for this saw and only found one where he said he had started but had not used it, he gave it 5 stars though.:msp_confused: I will update this thread as I use and get to know the ins and outs of this saw.

Overhead cookie cutting filmed by my 7 year old Nephew :

[video=youtube;41gyw5vxNYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41gyw5vxNYg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here are the three that I chose from. The Stihl is rated with the most horsepower. The Echo looks to have a great pole setup. You can even add a 4' extension to the Echo's slider. The Husqvarna is a little cheaper and lighter. I would have liked to have tested all 3 but that was never going to happen. I have a good Husqvarna dealer so that swayed me to the 327PT5S. I'm sure all 3 will do the job they were built for.

Husqvarna327PT5S.jpg

131HT.jpg

PPT-280-1.jpg

I have the Echo you have shown ppt-280 and it's a great machine. I did remove the cat from the muffler and opened her up a little and it runs lots better.

I really think you could have gone either way (husky or ehco) and been happy, not sold on the 4mix at all, seen way too many problems IMHO.

Off the wall idea

Now that you have run this for a while, what do you think about using it for brush clearing? I'm looking to do some brush clearing in our woods on the edge of the trails and not sure if I'd rather do a brush saw or try a pole saw? That or both??

Young fellah had the mountain dew shakes filming that one. I am still dizzy:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: Russ

Now that you have run this for a while, what do you think about using it for brush clearing? I'm looking to do some brush clearing in our woods on the edge of the trails and not sure if I'd rather do a brush saw or try a pole saw? That or both??

Interesting, I haven't used it like that yet. It would probably work for the larger brush to get past the bushy part and cut the trunk. My sister has a dead Blue Spruce, which has a thick canopy, that I'm going to use the pole saw to remove the bulk of the tree even though it's not that tall. But my standard answer is always going to be get both!

I would love to try this cutter, the Husqvarna 555FX. At almost 4 HP this powerhead would be awesome on a lot of tools - pole saw, macho string trimmer, hedge trimmer with a 6 foot blade, cultivator....................................
13afd5f5.jpg

Interesting, I haven't used it like that yet. It would probably work for the larger brush to get past the bushy part and cut the trunk. My sister has a dead Blue Spruce, which has a thick canopy, that I'm going to use the pole saw to remove the bulk of the tree even though it's not that tall. But my standard answer is always going to be get both!

I would love to try this cutter, the Husqvarna 555FX. At almost 4 HP this powerhead would be awesome on a lot of tools - pole saw, macho string trimmer, hedge trimmer with a 6 foot blade, cultivator....................................

I went with a new 2007 built 335Rx brush saw for ground work and ordered the 327PT5S for the high trimming.

I have had a Stihl HT 131 for several years and have no had any problems with it at all. I think it must have a fairly aggressive chain as it cuts faster than the Husky in the video IMO

Steve

13afd5f5.jpg

Pretty sweet price on that bad boy :D

Back