overheated 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfh346xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
scotchbrited the transfer out of this cylinder and added new meteor piston. Think it will run for long ? light duty firewood and 32/1 mix ?

( high res pics )

20231219_162047.jpg20231219_162106.jpg20231219_162231.jpg

Looks to be through the plating. If so, I would not use my time to put it back on, then do it again. Would be a new P&C the first time. But good luck if you choose to try it!

Looks to be through the plating. If so, I would not use my time to put it back on, then do it again. Would be a new P&C the first time. But good luck if you choose to try it!
Best non oem replacement ? Or if someone has a serviceable oem used part I'm interested.

Ty

The 550xp deserves to run like it was meant to...although a little more torque would be nice.

Get an oem top end. Probably with a thinner base gasket..

Oh, and that cylinder looks like toast. It'll run great! For a very short time.

The 550xp deserves to run like it was meant to...although a little more torque would be nice.

Get an oem top end. Probably with a thinner base gasket..

Oh, and that cylinder looks like toast. It'll run great! For a very short time.
The math gets muddy. 250 for oem piston cylinder kit. My time is free mostly retired. New 550 is 600 with some major improvements. Saw belongs to friend with zero tolerance for tinkering. It's a tool has to work when needed.

Do you have any idea why it over heated? I've been thinking about a 550 or 540 but have seen a few problems with them.

You’re not through the plating yet, but all those black spots are high spots where there is still aluminum and it needs to be removed. Also, if you could knock down the lines in the vertical scoring with some emory paper that would help smooth things out up above the exhaust port

no vac or pressure test , not taking apart again, its on fb marketplace. The symptoms were the same as initial failure - not enough compression to start / run.

Latest posts

Back