OWB camouflage question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher0780

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have my OWB sitting on a hill next to my garage. I have just planted one tree (see my awesome drawing), but am considering planting a hedge of arborvitae or something similar to block the view of the OWB while driving up to the garage. It is not normally this smokey (I had just started a fire with cardboard and newspaper) and the chimney is not 8 feet higher (about even with the garage roof line. I just think it will dress things up a bit if I plant a little hedge to shroud the OWB and woodpile behind it. What do you think?

IMGP3117-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think a tree would look good there. For some reason the first one that come to my mind is blue spruce or maybe a white pine. I like the spot where your owb is.

Not a bad idea, plant something big enough to hide your future wood pile/shed you're gonna build next to your boiler. You'll want one there sooner than later.

Not a bad idea, plant something big enough to hide your future wood pile/shed you're gonna build next to your boiler. You'll want one there sooner than later.

The pile is now behind the furnace.

Pex is too much to move it anymore :)

Will the smoke harm the trees?

Last edited:
Jeesh...I thought there was'nt a need to hide mine it's sexy :hmm3grin2orange: Shoulda sunk it back in the tree line a touch, but hind sight is always 20/20 :D Been there done it by the way, the hind sight thing that is...............

Last edited:
Jeesh...I thought there was'nt a need to hide mine it's sexy :hmm3grin2orange: Shoulda sunk it back in the tree line a touch, but hind sight is always 20/20 :D Been there done it by the way, the hind sight thing that is...............

That was my plan, but the tree line kept moving back :dizzy:

I planted a red maple where my tree drawing in the picture is, I was just thinking about some type of hedge in front of the OWB and wood pile. I may do a simple fence, and plant some evergreens in front of that, but I'm not sure if the smoke will kill the shrubs/ trees nearby.

I dunno... that tree dont cover much.. is it one of those outline oaks or hollowed out maple? :hmm3grin2orange: ( one of those 'happy little trees")..
the way things are going you might have to put a 12' fence with razor wire on top and machine gun nest on either side..... :hmm3grin2orange:

Cedar hedges are nice camo...

...plant a line about 4ft apart. We top off the cedar hedges at about 10-12 feet so they don't blow over. Oh plan on them getting 6ft in diameter at the base too.

Conifers are the way to go, if it was me. Green coverage all year. When your maple sheds its' fall leaves, you'll see it again.

If you pick some kind of bushes for a hedge - get a species that doesn't get full of all those leaves that will be falling off the trees in your woods. We have some form of evergreen hedge that has branches that angle upward from the base and it is like leaf velcro - all the falling leaves stick in them and they are horribly hard to remove.

White pine has lots of space between the branches and don't screen very well, and around here they sell a lot of them as they sprout easily and sell well - however they don't like our soil and they don't live very long (Norway Spruce is a better but slower growing variety for northern Kentucky).

We need a similar screen area to hide our garage from the street and are considering the ornamental grasses - but I am not sure if they are any better about having falling leaves stick in them. We could also use the native Cedar bushes that grow wild around here and they are cheap as you can just dig them up anywhere.....however they will get to be horribly big and tall as time goes on and it will be nice to have some form of planting that will not get taller than 10' or so.

I think I'd paint it green and move it about another 100' back. ;)

So you didn't like my idea???

Okay, plant rhododendrium bushes in front of it. They will fill in nicely, not get too tall, and remain green/full throughout the year. They look nice when then flower as well.

So you didn't like my idea???

Okay, plant rhododendrium bushes in front of it. They will fill in nicely, not get too tall, and remain green/full throughout the year. They look nice when then flower as well.

I'll look into the rhododendrons. If I moved it another 100' the neighboring land owner might start scratching his head, and I'd have to buy more pex. Originally it started out being in the woods, but I got a little carried away while clearing for it.

I was just kidding. Well kind of anyway. I've never been crazy about OWB's, but I can certainly understand they have their place and merits... They're just not for me.

Look into the rhododendrium, I suspect they would work well for your application. :)

Latest posts

Back