OWB controllers for furnace & domestic HW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handysmrf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for help on how to set up my system.
I have a circulator for the boiler and a small pump for the heat exchanger (water heater side to plate exchanger).
I will be hooking up the furnace to a fan coil and again, the water heater to an exchanger.
The fan coil will be on the OWB loop (which will be closed with glycol).

Is there a simple/inexpensive way to control all of this?

Hot water heater tells little pump to start circulating (because it needs hot water) which ultimately tells big OWB pump to kick on.

Furnace tells Big OWB pump to kick on when it needs heat.

Two controllers for one pump? and what kind?

I know this is kind of jumbled but I NEED HELP!

Thanks everyone/anyone!:dizzy:

you have a hot water heat system and you also want to heat your domestic hot water by using the OWB....correct?

my understanding is that the OWB just runs constantly thru it's "loop" into any heat exchangers you have set up.

Last edited:
yes mine has two circuits - one for the heating coils in the forced air ducts and one circuit for the domestic Hot water. I used two circuits as I want to heat the DHW during the summer months when I don't want heat - i could have used 1 with bypass valves - but this gives me future expandability.

As I am using the DHW circuit all year - i just fee straight from the well pressure tank outlet to the OWB and then back to the cold inlet of the DHW tank. So no extra pump is needed.

The heating circuit has it's own 1/6 HP pump. this is controlled by a second house thermostat that kicks this pump on and the forced air fan.

The blower on the OWB is controlled by a thermostat on the boiler itself - hopes this helps

Thanks for the replies!

I do want to heat my domestic HW with the OWB.

Stephen, what kind of controller can relay the command for the pump to turn on through the thermostat. What do you have?

Latest posts

Back