OWB distance ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Team,

Please keep in mind that heat loss in the pipe is only one of the factors to concern your self's with.

In wood boilers we don't pump water you circulate water there's a difference. There is no pressure to force water rather it just flows in a loop.The rate of flow is the key. With a 1" pex pipe and a large taco pump at a 100 ft run (200ft total length) you can hope to flow about 8 gpm max. That will yield you about 60,000-80,000 BTU's max. So you need to know your BTU needs for the home.

Flow rate is determined by diameter and distance because of capillary action more than pump size.

With the heat loss in the pipe and flow rates at distance your going to need a very big boiler if you hope to service two homes.

Mark

Exactly, that why I used the 40mm pex (which measures very close to the ID of 1.5"). Lots of water flow :)

http://www.ebuild.com/product-detail/hvac/radiant-floor-heating/tubing--hydronic/412206.hwx

I have 3 pairs of 1" pex lines wrapped with foam and a 12/2 electric wire, 2 t-stat wires in 6" corrugated tile. (it was fun stuffin all that in 60' of tile)

All that buried 4' deep and I am happy with the performance of my stove.

Oh yeah - forced air heat

Last edited:
Happy Design Day!

I wished everyone the same in another thread...these are the worst case low temp. days we HOPEFULLY design our systems to handle. Now on to other bid-ness...It doesn't matter how big your piping/pumps are, some manufacturers only have 3/4"-1" tappings on their boilers! They should have 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" taps. Shephen44 and Mr. Lambert are spot on in their opinions. As far as my underground piping, I used 1" Zurnpex, Armaflex rubber pipe insulation inside of 4" PERF
ORATED ADS drain pipe, buried 36"-40". No ground heating noticed, maybe a 2 deg. loss between supply/return temps at the boiler, and under the house at the HX, and in the shop. I use Taco 009's, 2 loops, 110' length, Taco 007's on the secondary loops to the HX's. Most OWB dealers don't know squat about designing a hydronic heating system, they just ax how many S.F. you have. Take the time to read/study/learn when planning a system out.
:cheers:
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back