OWB installing heat exchanger location

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to assist! Let us know how you make out. Also you might already be aware of this but I'll tell ya anyway. When looking at your water to air HX's inlet/outlet they are offset, the low one is the inlet and high is the outlet. Flow is better that way and air purges through better also. Secondly, when installing my system most diagrams shown the incoming hot water flow going to the water to water HX (domestic hot water) first, then to furnace. I feel/felt that I want a warm house first and the heat that is left I'll heat my hot water. So my flow goes to the furnace HX and then to the hot water heater HX. Works great!!! I still even had to install a mixing valve on my domestic hot water cause it was to hot. OWB settings are 160 on 168 off. Just a thought. To each is own.

Hmmm interesting thought on the furnace first.

A little bit off top from the HX, but still in the install process. One of the parts the dealer gave me was a valve that goes in right after the insulated pex comes into the house. Its purpose is to measure the temp of the water coming from the owb. If the temp is above 180 it allows all of the water to pass through to the hot water heater and the hx.

If it was between 150 and 180, it allows partial flow, and below 150 it closes the flow to the hx and hwh, and sends it all back to the OWB. The reasoning behind it they said was to help keep the temp up in the owb to help reduce condensation in the owb. (or something like that, I am still reading it over).

The thing that doesn't make sense to me about that is if the OWB goes out then propane furnace can be a backup heating the water through the hx and sending it back to the OWB.

As anybody installed this? If so does it still allow you to use your gas furnace as a backup to the owb (for water heating purposes).

On a happy side note, the OWB comes today, now I just have to get the inside plumbing stuff done. :) It is getting close.

Hmmm interesting thought on the furnace first.

A little bit off top from the HX, but still in the install process. One of the parts the dealer gave me was a valve that goes in right after the insulated pex comes into the house. Its purpose is to measure the temp of the water coming from the owb. If the temp is above 180 it allows all of the water to pass through to the hot water heater and the hx.

If it was between 150 and 180, it allows partial flow, and below 150 it closes the flow to the hx and hwh, and sends it all back to the OWB. The reasoning behind it they said was to help keep the temp up in the owb to help reduce condensation in the owb. (or something like that, I am still reading it over).

The thing that doesn't make sense to me about that is if the OWB goes out then propane furnace can be a backup heating the water through the hx and sending it back to the OWB.

As anybody installed this? If so does it still allow you to use your gas furnace as a backup to the owb (for water heating purposes).

On a happy side note, the OWB comes today, now I just have to get the inside plumbing stuff done. :) It is getting close.

I would like to see exactly what this valve is....

Also, doing your piping by the CB diagram is ok, I guess, but doing it in the primary-secondary method is far superior, more efficient, than feeding your HX's in series.

I will upload the PDF of the bypass instructions when i get home today. The dealer said it had to be installed else it would void the warranty (which seemed kind of harsh but...)

upsnake

yeah you might have to do some sheet metal work. but my a coil is sitting right on top of my heat ex. there might be 4 to 6 inches of clearance between the two.

I wouldnt install that valve. I like the idea that if something were to happen and the fire went out and my furnace kicked on, that it would partially heat the boiler water to keep it from freezing.

I didn't get a chance to scan the instructions sheet. Was busy getting the boiler in place. Haha
I did look at the instruction and ask the dealer and they both said that it will not prevent the gas furnace from heating the water if some was to happen to the OWB. I don't see how but...

Has anybody ran into their water heater having a high temp limit switch issue. The instruction manual said if your water heater has that you may have issues trying to use a side arm hx. I checked the gas valve on mine and it appears that it does.

I have tried searching online for info on it but failing pretty big. Haha Just thought i would toss that out here.

Thanks
Jay

Jay,
My water heater is electric and I have a side arm. The high temp limit switch tripped once but I didn't notice it of course until I shut down my OWB for the summer and the supply of hot water went south. Pulled the access cover off and pushed the reset button and I was back in business. I believe the main function is to ensure your water at the faucet doesn't get too hot. A mixing valve can be installed to regulate the water temp. being supplied to your faucet. Disclaimer: I do not know if it has anything to do with protecting the equipment.

Bill

Latest posts

Back