OWB question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls ranger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a heatmasterss, all stainless, and was just wanting info or suggestions on what everyone that shuts them down for summer does, maintenance wise and should i shut it completly down pump and all, any input appreciated, thanks

Hey, I think I remember you from last year when you were in the buying stage of your owb. So how do you like it? From what I've seen heatmaster is a good looking owb. Did you go with the standard or is this one the gasser? How much wood did you use?

Anyway for your question, my Hawken/global is stainless also. At the end of season I get all the ashes out and scratch the loose creasolte/ash crust from the back where it is hard to get to in season. I send a water sample to certified labs, (so far so good 4 years running). I replace the chimney cap with a 5 gallon pail, turn off the circulator. Also I usually will turn the pump on for a few minutes 2-3 times during the summer.

you've got a stainless model, so i'm not really sure what you should do. But i let mine burn out then couple of days later i scrap all loose stuff off the sides then sweep out with a wet/dry vac. then i use a mixture of desiel/fresh motor oil in a sprayer and coat the insides and my burn tubes. i've got an empyer pro200 gasser. I try and make sure i keep the spray off the bricks in the burn chamber. Shut the pumps down, and cover the stack with a pail...

CL5036 (mild steel, not SS). I let it burn out in late May usually. Used to scape the firebox by crawling all the way in there and really getting it clean. I don't do that anymore - it sucks too bad.

The past few years I just let it all sit until next season. Each year the pump has had crap caked on it - had to pull it and clean it out in order to get it to start.

My guess is that it might be a good idea to actually pull the pump out for the season and put it back in the fall. Going to try that this year.

Hey, I think I remember you from last year when you were in the buying stage of your owb. So how do you like it? From what I've seen heatmaster is a good looking owb. Did you go with the standard or is this one the gasser? How much wood did you use?

Anyway for your question, my Hawken/global is stainless also. At the end of season I get all the ashes out and scratch the loose creasolte/ash crust from the back where it is hard to get to in season. I send a water sample to certified labs, (so far so good 4 years running). I replace the chimney cap with a 5 gallon pail, turn off the circulator. Also I usually will turn the pump on for a few minutes 2-3 times during the summer.

Yea applefarmer, i was gathering info last year about this time i got the heatmaster in october, i really like it. I didnt keep real close eye on wood used but everybody around here goes by ranks instead of chords not sure how to compare. I sent in a water sample shortly after starting up furnace but havent heard back, Im going to get in touch with dealer this week. Do you coat the inside with oil or anything?

Yea applefarmer, i was gathering info last year about this time i got the heatmaster in october, i really like it. I didnt keep real close eye on wood used but everybody around here goes by ranks instead of chords not sure how to compare. I sent in a water sample shortly after starting up furnace but havent heard back, Im going to get in touch with dealer this week. Do you coat the inside with oil or anything?

No I do not coat the inside with anything. Last year I was curious and scraped away the black creosolt layer in a couple of spots, and the stainless looked just like it did day one. :msp_biggrin: So is your boiler a standard owb or a phase 2?

No I do not coat the inside with anything. Last year I was curious and scraped away the black creosolt layer in a couple of spots, and the stainless looked just like it did day one. :msp_biggrin: So is your boiler a standard owb or a phase 2?

It is standard. I was thinking of coating bottom of fire box and ash pan to help keep shaker grates from rusting. Yea I was hoping it would be alright just to leave layer of creosolt, it would be a pain to get all of it off.

It is standard. I was thinking of coating bottom of fire box and ash pan to help keep shaker grates from rusting. Yea I was hoping it would be alright just to leave layer of creosolt, it would be a pain to get all of it off.

I don't have grates or a ash pan, but I think it would be a good idea to spray everything that is not stainless with a combo of diesel/old motor oil.

Back