OWB Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a friend with a propane fired burner in her house and is interested in converting to an OWB. I don't know anything about OWB's but told her I'd ask you guys what brands she should be looking at.

Central Boiler. I have had mine for almost 10 years now a couple of small issues but overall it's been a very good unit. One thing I will say Grundfos pumps are twice the pump as Taco's and about a third of the price. My first pump was a Taco it lasted 3 years it was around $75 when I bought it when it died the price was close to $300 the Grundfos I replaced it with was $100 it is still working. Also the "Ashtroll" they sell you is nothing more than field lime I paid $4.00 for a #50 bag.
Whatever brand they buy start cutting wood NOW! they all like dry wood, the cat models mandate it.

I second the Central Boiler suggestion. I've had mine for 9 seasons and love it. Between seasons 8 and 9 I replaced the water pump. Prior to that I replaced the door gasket as a precautionary measure. Its been rock solid. Amazing that something so simple can work so well. :msp_thumbup:

I would suggest the newer hi-efficient models. They are mandatory in most areas these days. I've had a Wood Master since '07 and I love it because of the attributes that come with an OWB. ie,,whole house heat, mess stays outside,,blah, blah,blah.
HOWEVER, my unit is a wood eating hungry monster and you have to be enthusiastic about your wood cutting pursuits to keep one fed.
One guy i know, who has one, swears he gets longer burns from green wood and isn't interested in seasoned wood. Each to his own. I try to stay ahead of the ball and keep plenty of seasoned wood on hand. The un-seasoned wood never worked in my fire place insert and it only makes sense to burn seasoned wood in the OWB. Besides, the smoke from green wood in an OWB would get me run out of town.
With the new regulations here I'm "grandfathered" but will need to raise my stack height before next season.

Last edited:
Back