OWB regulations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawken08

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in michingan and would like some insight on some regulations by cities or townships. Currnetly my township has no restrictions on OWB and i would be Grandfathered in, however i am still concerned on whats going on with regulations and restrictions for these units.

Where abouts are you?

Read the thread "My install with Pics" IrishCountry might have more info for us soon.

Hard to say how you will be affected, depends a lot on local political lean. We USED to be conservative here but now about 50-50 with the vocal ones being the liberals(as always). Here in Ohio there was talk of state wide regulation but there was such a ground swell that the EPA had to back down. None the less local governments have put in their own laws. Some allow for grandfathered units some require existing units to be put out of service. If you are in town or in an area that loves to regulate I would check things out carefully before I would invest in a OWB.

I installed my Hawken in early August. I spend years looking into these types of heat source. I called the united states goverment looking for programs that home owners could use to put in a geo-thermal system. nothing! called the state looking to get the same under the Farm Bill. once again Nothing! If are goverment wants us to be off the Middle east drug then give me a low intrest loan to invest in Geo thermal. Investing 12-18 grand in a down housing market just made little sense. When i move my Hawken is coming with me for the ride, if i can sell the home. I burn nothing but dry oak and mixed hard wood, however as an owner of an OWB its important to watch for that train at the end of the tunnel. I think the propane and oil companies are trying the best to put an end to these types of heat source. i have a right to make sure my family is warm in the winter and i don't have to spend 4300 to heat my home.

. i have a right to make sure my family is warm in the winter and i don't have to spend 4300 to heat my home.

Youll get no argument from me on that line of thought and in fact that is exactly what I wrote the EPA last spring. WHO is going to give me the 3K a year to buy gas when my OWB is outlawed??

just with in a mile of my home there was at the very least 5-8 installed this winter. I look at as there is power in numbers, the more people that have them the more likely they won't be compelety banish. I have spoken to my closest neighbors and they were worried about the smoke so i raised my stack height for them. now they are happy and want to tap into mine after they paid 1200 to fill there propane tank. which will last them till about mid jan, then filler up again.

my new personal opinion is to jump through their hoops (permits, inspections, etc). Do everything on the level, and if/when government (local, state, or federal) try's to regulate my use (in excess of the existing regulations at the time of install/inspection) I'll give them a fight. Keep all your records, be respectful of your neighbors, and hopefully we won't need to fight. Fortunately my closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and a good 60ft lower then my OWB.

No regs in Saginaw County and it better stay that way. I am moving my shed in front of the OWB just in case though:censored:

LaPorte County, Indiana

Our county has a OWB ordinance in place. This is the second year for it. It requires any new installation to have a $50. 00 permit and register the unit with the County health department. All units are required to be registered with the County. There was a 3-4 month grace period for us to register our existing units be for getting fined. The ordinance spells out May 15 till September 15 as a no burn time. If you burn you will be fined. If you burn anything other then what is manufacture recommended you can be fined. I believe you can see the ordinance online if you search OWB ordinance LaPorte County Indiana. We don't like it but we gotta live with it!! Happy burning "The Hoosier"

Hardy H4

LA PORTE - The effectiveness of a county ordinance governing outdoor wood boilers, which took effect Nov. 21, is getting mixed reviews.

County Commissioners approved an ordinance in 2007 specifying how OWB units should be installed, operated and maintained.

Owners must provide a copy of the manufacturer's specifications to verify compliance. The ordinance prohibits use of OWBs between May 15 and Sept. 15, and all units must be placed at least 25 feet from the property line. The ordinance also covers chimney height and the type of wood used. Only seasoned, dry wood without paint, varnish or other treatments can be used. Violation can result in a $750 fine.

Tony Mancuso, La Porte County Health Department environmental supervisor, said no fines have been issued, and only three complaints have been received. As a result of the ordinance, 120 owners have registered OWBs, a number that surprised Mancuso.

"I didn't know there were that many out there," he said. "I thought there might be about 50. It's a good idea to have the ordinance and to know where they're at."

Allan and Debbie Bottorff, 9796 S. County Road 225 West, say they suffer from the effects of an OWB when wind blows from the south. Allan Bottorff said he gets nauseous from the smoke and Debbie Bottorff, an asthmatic, has to wear a respirator.

The ordinance makes it easier for the Bottorffs to go outside four months of the year, but the other eight months can be problematic. Allan Bottorff said even though he has installed air purifiers, they don't eliminate the problem.

The Bottorffs filed a complaint against OWB owner Henry Pacione. Allan said that, one day, they were suffering from OWB emissions while Pacione was burning stacks of painted wood.

Patty Nocek of the La Porte County Health Department responded, Allan Bottorff said, telling Pacione to stop burning the painted wood. Pacione told The News-Dispatch he removes the wood crates from the company he works for, and only the ends are "spray painted very lightly."

He said he will remove the ends before using the rest of the wood.

Pacione was not fined.

Health Department Director Paul Trost said his department doesn't have the authority to issue a ticket, and fines only can be levied by a court.

"I think we came up with a pretty good ordinance. If we get a complaint, we would address it very diligently, to make sure we're doing things properly," Trost said. * * *

[Phil] Coil and his wife, Marguerite, live at 3275 N. Wozniak Road near an OWB owner they say seems to have found a loophole in the county ordinance.

A nearby neighbor had an outdoor wood burner but no longer uses it. Instead, he installed a new Blue Forge gasification outdoor wood furnace inside a pole barn, making it an indoor wood burner. County officials say the ordinance doesn't apply in this case.

The Coils said the new unit burns hotter and the smell is less noticeable than the one outdoors, but the smell is not their only concern.

"It is still sending out particulate matter that can travel miles and miles," Marguerite Coil said. "No one seems to know anything about whether it's a health hazard."

The Coils asked Commissioners President Bill Hager to check out the indoor wood burner, but said he never did.

Hager said the ordinance is working just fine and doesn't need any changes.

The Coils disagree. They said five homeowners in their area have been bothered by the nearby OWB, and one has already moved for the health of a daughter with asthma.

"What's the difference if it bothers one or 10 people?" Phil Coil said.

County Building Commissioner Ray Hamilton said his office is responsible for registering new OWBs, but very few have been submitted. Hamilton said the ordinance took effect at a time of year when the units already would have been installed.

It remains to be seen whether more will be registered this spring and summer, Hamilton said. A permit for new construction costs $50 and must be obtained before installation.

Marguerite Coil says she continues to be frustrated by the ordinance.

"They try to ban smoking so we're not smelling secondhand smoke," she said, "but it's OK to smell this."

Posted by Marcia Oddi on February 12, 2008 01:14 PM
Posted to Environment

http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2008/02/environment_eff.html

Note the loophole....

Last edited:
More reading

Monday, January 07, 2008
Environment - Outdoor wood fired boilers not the only culprit
The ILB has had number stories about concerns raised by outdoor wood-fired boilers used to heat homes. Today Mary Wilds of the NWI Times reports on another concern - indoor wood-fired stoves that may not meet already existing federal and state requirements, and what can be done. It looks like having rules on the books is only the first step:

DYER | A proposed ordinance governing the use of wood-burning heating units won't be any help to John Kaleel.

Dyer originally began exploring the possibility of an ordinance after Kaleel approached the town for help in dealing with his Fagan Street neighbor's wood-fired heating unit. The unit emits such noxious smoke and odor it negatively impacts his quality of life, Kaleel said.

But Kaleel's neighbor's unit is an indoor unit, not an outdoor one, Redevelopment Director Rick Eberly said, and because indoor wood-fired units are already regulated by state and federal law, any ordinance Dyer passed could only deal with outdoor units. There currently are none in town, officials said.

Eberly said he had not had time to research indoor units prior to the study session.

Kaleel and his wife Tina said they were dismayed at the news and frustrated by the situation.

Their neighbor, who did not attend the study session, installed a taller smokestack the first time the Kaleels approached the town about the problem.

Officials had hoped the higher stack would solve the problem, but odors and lingering smoke have remained, John Kaleel said.

Since learning the unit is indoors, Eberly has tried to get the Indiana Department of Environmental Management involved. Last month, an IDEM official asked for information on the unit, including the name of its manufacturer and whether it is on the list of those approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. So far, the neighbor has not complied, Kaleel and Eberly said.

Posted by Marcia Oddi on January 7, 2008 01:06 PM
Posted to Environment

http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2008/01/environment_out.html

I burn in a "town" neighborhood in an indoor stove, and have never had any problems. I burn hot though, and most of the time there is no visible smoke from my stack, somtimes a little on startup, and if it is very cold there's some steam/condensation from it too. I burn dry seasoned wood and the smell is not objectionable. I don't like talk of ordinances regulating wood burning, because every one of them is a step closer to a total ban.

At the Fairfield county fair last weekend there was vendor selling OWB (can't remember which brand but all stainless steel though) and they said they didn't know anything about any regulations involving OWB's in Ohio. I said you been living under a rock! You sell these things and you don't know anything??? I wonder if they were playing stupid so as to not hurt sales. I'll bet any of those companies would sell to someone and let the buyer beware if there is a problem in his area.

Sounds like a land of to many want to bees. And to many O woe is me, people.
What is wrong with the smell of wood burning? Sounds like the complainers work for some gov. entity and have way to much time on their hands and way to much money in the bank. The inside of their home probably smells of incense and Fabreeze.
Ken

At the Fairfield county fair last weekend there was vendor selling OWB (can't remember which brand but all stainless steel though) and they said they didn't know anything about any regulations involving OWB's in Ohio. I said you been living under a rock! You sell these things and you don't know anything??? I wonder if they were playing stupid so as to not hurt sales. I'll bet any of those companies would sell to someone and let the buyer beware if there is a problem in his area.

Dealers do play that game. My FIL told a CB dealer he was looking at a Portage and Main Boiler. Dealer said "he said he had never heard of it". :monkey:

Latest posts

Back