OWB tips/suggestions etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave977

Reaction score
O.K., I am new to this site and love the amount of info. available here. So, I will address the following ques. here and hope for your help.

I am looking at building a new house and want to have an OWB. I think that I like the Woodmaster 4400 to get the job done. What tips would you have for install and hook up? Did you guys do the install by yourself? Where did you get the supplies from? What kind of costs did you incur? What is the max. distance you should be from the house?

FYI: I want to have in-floor heat in the basement, heat exchanger to convert to forced air heat for the rest of the house, eventually heat 24' x 34' workshop.

Thanks for all the info. in advance.

1. make sure they are not regulated/ banned in your area.

Do not skimp on the underground installation, insulate those lines well and make sure there is no contact with ground water. A good instalation will not reveal itself to you via snow melting etc. Mine is about 60' from the house, you want it far enough away so smoke does not get in the house. Not sure how far is too far but I am not into morning walks at zero so mine is close. I have a 4400 and all my supplies came from the dealer. Same stuff sold by Woodmaster's supply division, Outdoor supply (I think)

I am in the second year with my Woodmaster. Mine is located 120 feet from the house and is behind my garage. I heat a very well insulated 2,100 square foot house with forced air and a 1,800 square foot garage with radiant heat in the floor. I build small fires that will only 12 hours or so....I add more wood before I go to work and before I go to bed. Small fires help to keep the smoke down.....and I only burn seasoned wood. The plate exchanger for the water heater makes plenty of hot water and I don't believe the side arm is necessary....I keep mine turned off as the water gets too hot when it is used.

My unit is located so that the smoke blows into my woods with the prevailing winds and my closest neighbor is 1,000 feet away in that direction and they have never smelled any smoke from my OWB. The only thing I think could have been better about my installation is the orientation of the OWB. The backside faces the wind - and this results in a negative pressure area where the door is located. When I open the door - the smoke comes out of the door and just hangs around in the low pressure area. It takes about 20 seconds or so for the smoke to clear out....and the smoke continually flow out the door. It may actually be better to locate the door facing the wind as it might help to keep the smoke inside the furnace. I oriented mine away from the wind to keep the driving rain off the door and it works well that way - but it does seem to allow smoke out as a result.

Latest posts

Back