OWB tools! Homemade or Purchased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Reaction score
Just wondering if any other OWB owners have a set of tools with their stove. I have a shovel, a hookeroon, a small metal rake for stoking and stiring coals, a "ram," bar similar to those that swat teams use to break down doors and an ash dragger(snow shovel with rounded ends fitted to a long handle at a 90 degree angle to drag ashes from the back to the front). The OWB i'm using is a biggie tho. Box is 50" deep by 36" by 36". Anyone else make or use anything for theirs?

Woodmaster sends along a tool that is made to bring the coals forwards and scrape the firebox. Besides that there is a pretty well worn out square point shovel, a coal bucket and a broom and a wide putty knife to scrape creosote from the door area. I don't burn very many large pieces that need to be shoved back into the firebox. My wood is all cut and split stove size.

Standard Shovel, Homemade coal rake, 5 gallon metal bucket.

I rarely remove creasote by hand usually winter takes care of thathttp://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/blob_fire.gif

Blaine Boyland
Wood Boiler LLC
www.woodboiler.us

I've been 'making do' with an old 4-tooth potato hook, a garden hoe, a flat-point shovel and a 7' length of 3/4" galvanized electrical conduit as a poker. Except now, after a few years, the hoe has a busted handle, the potato hook is starting to char, and the shovel can't reach to the back unless the fire's out and I can stick my head in there.

Central Boiler sells tools but can't be bothered to include any of them as a standard accessory to their boilers. I am going to spend some time this winter welding up some specialized tools for the OWB that will allow me to rake coals, scrape the firebox and move wood around.

Same pretty much as Butch, Woodmasters tool for scraping sides and draggin coals, couple sizes of putty knives, and a wood handled flat shovel. Learned that a synthetic handled shovel doesn't work so good for shoveling out ash (they MELT).
Just pull my tractor w/ bucket up to the door when time to shovel out ash.

Bolted a 7' section of 3/4" steel pipe to an old steel rake head and use the rake to rake coals and the other end to poke logs into place.

Thanks for the replys. I've been running the stove for about 3 years now and a add a new tool every year. The tools I listed like the ram bar and ash dragger are welded. The others I purchased. Its interesting to hear what everyone has. I didn't think of the putty knives for the creosote, but the fire takes care of it eventually. Oh yeah forget one, 5' pry/wrecking bar for leverage and a poker on occasions. I seem to get a little stronger in the winter.

Lenght of rebar bent at a 90 for cleaning grates
garden hoe straightened out for scrapeing creosote build up
wide flat homemade shovel for ashes

Central Boiler threw in a few tools as a special when I bought my 5036 this spring, a flat shovel, a hoe, and a monster sized potato fork looking deal. They're pretty nice, but they're heavy steel, the handles are about 6' long (probably built for the larger models) so I can't stand to use em, so far I'm going with a cheap old garden hoe and an old flat shovel.

First Post

I bought an old "clinker grabber" tool from a junk shop that is very handy for grabbing and moving smaller chunks of wood. It has two stationary hooks "((" and one moveable hook ")" . It is made of a piece of pipe with a rod running inside of it to control the single hook. The rod has a 90 degree bend on the user end for leverage. The stationary hooks are welded to the outside of the pipe.

Last edited:
I noticed i had a lot of un-burned coals burried in my ashes ( still learnin the tricks to this thing:confused:), so i took an end cap from a large electric motor and welded a length of 2 inch conduit to it to use as an ash scoop and sifter.
I just pull all the ashes forward, sift the powder into a 55 gal drum and toss the unburned coals into the back of the stove. you might be surprised how much unburned charcoal is burried in the ashes.

Auger for ash removal
Raking hoe for cleaning chimney pipe and stirring ashes
Modified (shortened tines with disc grinder) potato fork bolted to 1/2 dia. conduit pipe handle. Good for penetrating ash buildup and clearing grate

Stock Central Boiler long handled scraper and rake. I use the rake for EVERYTHING. Short handled grain shovel for ash removal. Plus I paid $40 for the local welding shop to make me a 7' long steel bar tool with a 10" shallow hook on one end and a wedge at the other. I can use it to pull logs and prybar when cutting, and also pull those stubborn burning pieces forward when the rake won't work.

I have a hoe for stirring coals, a square shovel for cleaning out the fire box, and a scrape on a long handle for cleaning creosote when needed. Taylor supplied a brush and scrape for cleaning the tubes and a rectangular scrape for moving ashes with the stove when purchased new.

Back