OWB water temp issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any boiler...gas, oil, wood, electric, hot water or steam....supply on top, return on bottom...see below!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Not ALL....

As uglydukling said above, it is also your pump....you can blow your pump pretty easily pulling from the top when there is no water there to pull...(low water)

I don't understand the last post at all ... the hotter water should be at the top of the boiler and as it goes to the house cools off .. I pump it back to the the bottom of the boiler. Why pull the cooler ( ok not much I don't imagain) into the house .. I am trying to use that heat. My boiler came with very spesific instructions on which ports to use to feed and return.

You get a better water temp mix if you mix your cold from your house with your hot at the top and pull from the bottom....

Your OWB looks good - and there is no doubt that insulation will sure help. On my Woodmaster there can be a fire inside the OWB and it will still have snow on the roof.

Your inlet and outlet pipes are too close together and the water would be much hotter if taken from farther toward the top. You must keep the water level above the firebox - so maybe you can get the outlets up near the top of the inner firebox. You could remove two of the current pipes and weld in pipes with a gentle bend that could go toward the rear of the furnace and slope up to gather the water higher up - or you could just weld in some new ones higher up.

I appreciate the comments, and I want to clarify the two taps on the right are suction the two on the left are return. The next step is to add some more in several locations and use the ones that give the best result for the application. This will not be used against a large head push, maybe 6-8 feet. The plan is to run one loop to the house and one to the shop. The second boiler will be put together based on what we learn from this one. I got some time and we love to tinker and learn. This forum is going to be a nice place to share the experience. I will post updates on our next trials soon. My wife has been skeptical at times but was impressed that we were able to show her some results. I have a good woman but I have to keep her warm!

After you insulate it are you going to put inside an existing building or build a building around it? If you build a small building around it and insulate the building good.. maybe just some fiberglass insulation wrapped around the water jacket would be enough?? Nice looking boiler too!!

Latest posts

Back