OWB wireless thermometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone no if the Maverick ET-7 transmitter will hold up in the rain snow etc. mounted to the outside of the OWB or can the transmitter be mounted inside the cabinet ? I would think it would need a open shot to the house to work not sure?? And does the transmitter show the temp also , that would be great I would have and easy to see thermometer on the furnace and one in the house.

Picked up my ET-73 yesterday and played with it today.

As I suspected, the stated range is really exaggerated if you have to pass the signal through anything but air. I'm doing good to get it to go 50 feet after passing through my floor.

The transmitter alternates display of the two temps. The transmitter, according to the directions included, is water resistant but not water proof. The supplied probes are 2 and 3 feet long respectively.

I installed my probes on my heat exchanger in the basement so that the tips were immediately adjacent to the inlet and outlet ports. I used thermal transfer grease to get a good read of the temp of the water as it comes in and goes out of the HX. When the blower comes on, I can now sit in my recliner and watch the outlet port temp drop around 25 degrees. I can also see the inlet temp drop when the boiler runs low on wood and can no longer maintain the preset boiler temp. I haven't decided yet whether to use the alarms. Probably won't since I don't feel like getting awakened in the middle of the night.... but I might set the high limit to warn me of an over-temp (runaway) and I do have the option to set the low limit to let me know the fire is low.

I'll have to play with it....

If you'd like to see pics of what I did, I'll try and post some tomorrow.

Steve

Last edited:
Not waterproof I was afraid of that , I wanted to get my temp right off the boiler itself , any ideas on keeping the transmitter out of the rain and snow ? Wonder how long the batteries will last in 20 degree temps ? The circulator on this system isn't on all the time so my temps of the pex in the basement won't really tell me what the furnace temp is ( only if the circulator happened to be on ) Not sure how to make this work , There is room behind the back panel for the transmitter where I would be putting the probe and its warm and out of the weather but I didn't think the signal would go through the stainless cabinet door. Any ideas??

Is the ET-73 THE SAME AS THE ET -7 ?

Last edited:
They also have slightly different programing setups based on their original intended purposes. For usage with an OWB, either should work fine. You can look up the owner's manuals at www.maverickhousewares.com to see what the differences are.

A radio signal is NOT going to go through a stainless skin. You'll have to mount it externally. Perhaps there is a small eave on your boiler or you could make a "hat" for it to be mounted under to keep it out of the direct weather.

Steve

OK , I'm going to give it a try , where are you getting the heat thermal grease and what is the name of it .

Wonder how the probes would work strapped to PEX? Had my first runaway last night...my fault...over loaded the OWB.

OK , I'm going to give it a try , where are you getting the heat thermal grease and what is the name of it .

I have a small tub (not a tube) of it that I bought many years ago at an electronics supply house. That was back when I did a LOT of electronics repair and assembly and used a lot of it. You can still get a small tube of it at Radio Shack (they call it heat sink grease). Certain dielectric greases used for automotive electronics may also be used as heat transfer grease. Check the label for application.

mtfallsmikey said:
Wonder how the probes would work strapped to PEX? Had my first runaway last night...my fault...over loaded the OWB.

I tried that first and consistently showed a temperature 10-12F below actual water temp. ended up moving them to the heat exchanger manifolds athe the inlet and outlet where I'm getting a very accurate reading.

As far as a runaway, the thermostat should have killed the blower when it hit the set-point. Perhaps the ash drawer wasn't fully closed and was still allowing a draft without the blower. This happened to me yesterday although I caught it before it ran wild.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. , I do have the dielectric grease , wasn't sure if it would work for this application.

I agree there had to be air getting into the firebox for the furnace to run wild , check for leaks.

I found some other while digging for thermometers for my OWB install. Here is one similar http://www.nu-temp.com/601.htm

Anyone know of something similar that is wired? I don't mind the wires but would love to have it all in one location to look at...I ran a cat5 out to my shop which is right next to my OWB...and to figure 15-20 bucks at least for each dial style thermomometer and even those get expensive quick..if I can look at 2, or 4 on a display and know it's accurate....that would be sweet...

I got the ET-73, plan was to hook up the transmitter outside below the pump, and maybe have the other probe (it comes with two) monitor the outside temps. Had it working great, except when I went in the house :( A little more than 80' when I got to the inside room I wanted to monitor in (receiver).

So I moved to plan B, hook it up in the utility room, to the PEX pile as it goes into the exchanger, being I have two probes I monitor the in and out of the water to air exchanger. Not the real result I was looking for, but I can get tell when the stove is working (pump on demand) and set a low temp alarm for when it gets below 70 degrees. Overall not a bad product, somewhat limited on distance though.

Not waterproof I was afraid of that , I wanted to get my temp right off the boiler itself , any ideas on keeping the transmitter out of the rain and snow ? Wonder how long the batteries will last in 20 degree temps ? The circulator on this system isn't on all the time so my temps of the pex in the basement won't really tell me what the furnace temp is ( only if the circulator happened to be on ) Not sure how to make this work , There is room behind the back panel for the transmitter where I would be putting the probe and its warm and out of the weather but I didn't think the signal would go through the stainless cabinet door. Any ideas??

Is the ET-73 THE SAME AS THE ET -7 ?

As far as my runaway was concerned...my fault. I have a CB5036, no blower, just packed it to the max, had raised my SP to 190 deg. Steamed like the Midnight Flyer!

Back