OWB'S any helpful thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS medman23 for the great info its just neat to see how everyone's application is different keep 'em comin guys with the OWB'S:clap:

I burned about 6.5-7 cords last winter, but it was a very mild winter. Most of the winter I only loaded once in the morning and just checked it at night. The previous winter (which was a cold one) I burned 9 cords and didn't heat the garage nearly as much. I am heating 2,200 sf of house, domestic water, oversized 2 stall insulated garage, and a work shop. My wife also keeps the t-stat at 74 degrees all winter. The year prior to buying the OWB (it's a Hawken Energy, BTW) we used $3,800 in propane and that did not include the shop space or garage AND the house was cold all winter.

I don't know if everyone else's experience is the same with wood sizes on the OWB's, but mine seems to prefer a wide mix of sizes. I keep about 2-3 cords un-split, use 2-3 cords of large "rejects" or "cast-off" that are crotches and knotty, but still large pieces, then 2-3 cords of split wood. All of it is nicely dried and covered prior to snow. I also run into some pine or aspen here and there so I mix that in as well. The small, split pieces are nice to fill the voids that are left after chucking large pieces in. Other than the rust that is starting to appear on the exterior of my unit I am happy with it.

its gonna be so nice to have the OWB cause just the time in splitting and precise stacking i appreciate all of your thoughts guys!!!!:)

I'm using an Econoburn EB-200 in an out building plus 2 500 gallons storage tanks in my basement to heat my 3000 sq. ft. house. Last winter I went through 4.5 cords of dry seasoned wood mostly fir and birch.

Just wondering when you guys are talking full cords are you talking 16 inch pieces , or are you just talking a pile 4 feet high and 24 feet long with pieces of wood up to 4 feet long .

Also when you cut say rounds for the boiler that your not going to split how long does it take for them to season versus split logs?:monkey:

I hear ya there LOL!!! Its a good thing to have seasoned wood though my stuff will atleast sit this winter i have plenty already to burn but can you guys post some pics of your OWB'S i enjoy seeing you setup's:cheers:

Just wondering when you guys are talking full cords are you talking 16 inch pieces , or are you just talking a pile 4 feet high and 24 feet long with pieces of wood up to 4 feet long .

Sorry about the terminology. I live in northern Michigan so locals around here call a stack that measures 16" X 8' long X 4' tall a "cord." I call it a "face" cord (also very common around here) or 1/3 cord. When I say "full" cord I am talking about 128 cubic feet or 4' wide X 4' tall X 8' long and I cut mine into 16" lengths so it would be 3 stacks put together.

Also when you cut say rounds for the boiler that your not going to split how long does it take for them to season versus split logs?:monkey:

Quite a bit longer. I burn mostly oak which takes a relatively long time to dry. I dry the split oak for at least a year before using/selling. The rounds are usually stacked drying for at least a year and a half. If I do this my boiler smokes very, very little. I can, of course, burn it sooner than that, but the OWB will smoke more.

RW ohio Thats a nice setup you have i see you have alot of split logs do you see the best with big rounds or the split? KEEP THE PICS COMING GUYS:rock:

I hear ya there LOL!!! Its a good thing to have seasoned wood though my stuff will atleast sit this winter i have plenty already to burn but can you guys post some pics of your OWB'S i enjoy seeing you setup's:cheers:

I spent some time on the site when I was building my OWB and have now actually joined since I got CAD to research a few saws. Here's a pic of it almost completed, but functional:
attachment.php

By no means am I a professional logger or fabricator, but I can get by when the other option is paying for propane.

Wooddog,

I split most everything over 12" dia. It will make it easy for the Mrs. to load the stove,if for some reason that I could not do it.Also,I cut all of my wood to 22" long so that I can stack 5 rows in the wood shed.The wood shed will hold 12 to 13 cords if it is stuffed full.

Ron

Latest posts

Back