Owner.contractor sentenced for fire fighter deaths

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straightgrain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On behalf of all the first responders and surviving families of fallen fire fighters out there, I invite your attention to this sad story.

An incinerator was incorrectly installed, no permit was pulled, a fire errupted, and more great Americans died.

Please consider the safety and lives of others when installing or maintaining your fireplaces, stoves, vents and OWBs.

http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Owner--Contractor-Sentenced-For-Coos-Bay-Firefighter-Deaths/46$22093

Last edited:
"A judge sentenced the men to 4 months in jail" ???wtf

3 Firefighters dead & these morons only get 4 months out of a possible 5 year sentence. Liberal justice at it's finest......

RD

Sad story, but you know where this is going...

Their going to put me in jail for running a 100 foot extension cord across my backyard if something ever happens.

Maybe we can become like some other states and not let a person put a bead of chaulk an their own house without contacting the local union and paying them for their shoddy work.

ARrrrgh... What is this world comming to.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't know all the details about this tragic incident. I do see this as ammo for the contractors (and unions) to pass harmful legislation, though.

You are right; in my two year building inspection college program we had numerous guest speakers (all in bed with the regulatory bodies (ICC). The "UL" guy seemd to be the worst.

Once the agency adopts a UL, ANSI etc standard, the code books add them to the criteria.

The list of work that does not require a permit is less than a half page. I have 9 feet of code books on my shelf; unbelievable.

The government does have too much power.

With all that written, a young fire fighter is going to run in a burning building no matter what.

All I pray for is with this thread is to hopefully compel home-owners to at least ask for a second opinion if they arn't going to pull the permit.

My stove vent (when I bought the place) had the upper sections fitted over the lower; big time no-go as the buring criosote will spill out rather than be contained in the appliance. Some gigs are gigs.

Truth to be written; my son in law is a fire fighter.

Back