Packs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pack designed for carrying a chain saw and fire fighter gear.

Go to MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 20 fl. oz. at REI.com for a wake up.

I have that pack, and those bottles. I use the bottles more than the pack. It's good for carrying, but it's lousy for putting the saw on or taking it off. What I do with the bottles usually is carry them in a paint belt like this:

Forestry Suppliers Paint Carrier

I carry 2 of the bottles with saw mix and one with bar oil. It gets me through a couple refills without going back for more. It's more convenient sometimes, less convenient other times.

Often as not I just go back to the old Gypo Jugs like everybody else. I have a saw pad on the shoulder strap of my CamelBak pack as well as earplugs in a box, so I'm pretty self-contained.

the outer jacket of 3" double jacket works well if you can still find a FD that use 3" DJ. It is heavy stuff!

I use the 2" double-jacket split up one side with a flare to cover dawgs and muffler. It works well enough as long as I remember to point the open sude away from my neck.

Last edited:
OK, you guys got me going again. Except I don't have much time for it yet.
Here is a prototype. I bought a Gerry Baby Packer for a couple of bucks and a regular frame backpack for a couple of bucks at a thrift store. I have taken the parts of both and sewn and strapped things together. I need to shorten the doodad that is holding it up and put some braces on to hold it up and some ripping out of the Gerry fabric and some more straps...then patch together a pack to hang to it...

Here is what I got together before being interrupted by the money pit construction project. Now, where did I put the other parts?
175688d1299800141-pack-o-parts0001-jpg

175689d1299800144-pack-o-parts0001_1-jpg

View attachment 175688View attachment 175689

Last edited:
Oh, snap. I like the swing-down support. That would make the thing a lot less unwieldy to get into and out of.

Except it isn't planned to be that. That is what it was on the Gerry Pack but I plan to hang the saw holder part on it. That particular part needs to be cut shorter and then braced to the pack frame. Wish I had real haywire so I could wire it together -- like basting fabric before final sewing. I'll have to look for pseudo haywire in town this weekend.

However, you could add such a thing on a pack. It would be handy but would also add more weight and parts to go whacko.

That makes me think since my kids are to big for ours it might get moded, until the oldest is big enough to pack it all.;) until then i like the gypo jugs.

The bottles are on sale today

Camping Hiking (Sale) at Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

click the
view price with coupon
and they are $4.40 apiece
That is just today - Friday - they keep customers interested this way.
................(Checking back today Saturday - the price is back up to $7.45) ..................

That is cheap.
I also got some paint ball soft carriers at a yard sale for I think it was 50 cents for 3 and they work well as carriers for the fuel bottles or fire extinguishers if you're on a gov contract.

============

It does take a couple minutes to put the saw on the pack and one to take it off. However, if you're covering ground or in brush or terrain it can really save you a lot of effort and make up for those three minutes.

=============

Normally, if I'm not 'scheduled' to do a long hike I will wrap the chaps around the bar. But they don't work well near a hot muffler as the outer of almost all chaps are nylon cordura. Nylon melts.
This is important when putting a hot saw ON any pack. Note; I have made a leather cover for the 1" webbing that I will try out someday this year.

Last edited:
Regarding the bottle.

The shot crews need to stay fluid mobile.

Having someone pack fuel as they move digging line means that person isn't producing line when they're packing Dolmars or jugs.

So the fuel gets spread out over several people in the SIGGs.

===========

The only time that these bottles would work for you fallers would be when you 'know' you have a two tank job. Then you pack three in the ratio described.
But we all know how that works.
There probably hasn't ever been a two tank job in human history that was described beforehand as a two tank job.

Last edited:
pack.jpg

In my Alice pack I sewed a strap with buckle to hold the head against the side of the pack. I put the bar cover on which sticks straight up. I still have room inside for Bar oil, gas, wrench, wedges, hammer, bar sharpen jig. The outside pockets have room for lunch and water.

The picture above is a typical Alice pack and frame which goes for about $50. or less.

Latest posts

Back