pain HO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam0321

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so I just took a job for 5 white pines in a back yard. the nice thing is that it is in a yard right across the house from mine, and the HO just says drop them and let them lay where they fall and he will take care of the rest. seasy right. well first off damn near everything has to be roped down and second the HO is the biggest red neck pain in the a there is. everyday he is out there asking what he can do and getting in the way. All day when I am in the tree all I hear is "a man a man a man cuut dat dear branch there i wanna seee it swiiing" or "a man a man a man urr saw done dun hung up on dat dear branch" Numerious times I have had to telll him to get himself and is dog out from under the 90' pine falling to the ground. and numerious times I have had to tell him "bud do not start up the saws and use them" he will constantly want to grap my saws when I am up in the tree. Once to get my attention while I had my ear muffs on he pulled on my climbing rope to get my attention. the guy means well but damn he is a pain. its to the point that when he gets home I climb down and tell him "sorry have to go to the base (i am in the marines) be back later. so the question what would you guys do?

What would I do? I wouldn't. I take it you are up there doing the job by yourself? I do it too and have had a few people try to help me. Its tough. Never had a HO grab a saw though. Must be the way I look or act or something I dunno. But it sounds like you picked the cream of the crop.

Last edited:
Finnish the job, get paid, have a beer with the guy and let it slide.

Do you realize what could happen if the guy would get injured by something you did? It would be different if they were buddies helping each other out around the house but since the guy doing the job was hired it could get dicey.
I know you wonder about me but don't think I don't wonder about you bro. Life is tough here on the outside; you know, out of the fold. Ever been?

some people just want to help....

not sure how their brains are working but they don't take no for an answer and they sometimes get upset when you tell them no. I have had people do that when working on a vehicle....they grab a wrench/hammer/bar/screwdriver/whatever and start in on something......does not matter what it is either. You tell them no that is the wrong part...etc but they insist on helping. I don't like to have people around when I work on stuff anymore.....
and yes I have had people try to grab my saw to help cut a tree......they don't even ask. I think you need to pick up a roll of caution tape and tell him not to cross it.....

I just inform the client that they are in a work area which is under my control and they must leave as soon as any work commences. Sounds like you are there by yourself which is never a good idea. My ground crew are well trained and will tackle anyone who tries to enter the work area, client or otherwise. The liability if something happens is just too great. I had some DH HO try to help me drag branches the other day. I pointed out that he had no shoes, no glasses, and no hardhat. As I want to be paid at the end of the job, I don't let them kill themselves until they have paid me.

I wouldn't have it.

guy sounds like a ding dong.

some customers can help if they're competent.

that guy? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd tell him to stay out of your way or you're leaving and he can get someone else.I'd rather not have the job than have a serious accident in my memory bank.

well to clear things up I am not working alone. I have a friend fromt he base who has worked for Asplunda and knows how to lower limbs and use a saw. But is a bit on the soft spoken side. I keep telling the guy to please stay out from under the tree while I AM WORKING. and to solve the confrentation i leave all saws not being used in the truck. I guess I stated this wrong. I know what to do. being in the military I have no problem taking controll of a situation. I told the guy today that if he continued to give advice then he could pay me for what I have done and he could finish the rest. otherwise let me do m job. I was more or less complaining and seeing how you guys would handle it.

I would suggest telling him that your insurance says that no one can be within 50 feet of your work area, including the homeowner. Claim that if they find out or if he gets hurt, you will lose your insurance. Set cones if you have to. That way, you aren't the bad guy and he stays out of the way.

Adam

I would not ask this question because you sound like you had no job briefing beforehand and you somehow cannot control the work site area. You should of got out of the tree and took control as you said your groundie is soft spoken. It's all on you and you let the situation get the best of you. :)
Jeff

cut one of his legs of, that will just keep him running in circles and give you time to get the job finished :greenchainsaw:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too close to home walk away the guys a nut. Anyone who says lay it down and leave it has no idea how much work is involved. Your sanity is worh more than a dime.

Latest posts

Back