pain to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLSamantha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a question....my new stihl MS210 runs like a champ....but it only has one problem...it's a pain in the bum to start!!! The first day i got it, it flooded....i think that may have been my fault...but after that, even following the starting directions, it takes forever to get the damn thing to start...i asked my dude if it was the cold weather...he said 40 degrees would not effect it in that way....he wants to take it back to the dealer...but what would the dealer be able to do? what is wrong with my saw?

Samantha, You should have brought it along when you and your dude was here I would have checked it our for ya..

Scott

Should have bought a 5100....LOL

The carb sounds like it needs adjusted on the LOW jet side.

Check Madsens site for propper tuning of the low and high speed jets. I'm sure your DUDE can do it, but if the Stihl dealer is a stone's throw away, take it in to them to check it out. They should have set it up properly to begin with.

They make a kit to fix problems with Stihl's starting.

It's a DOLMAR!

Hahahaha. Just kidding Samantha. Fresh gas, more fresh gas and run higher octane fuels.

and if you have flooded it a bunch you might try a fresh plug or pull the one thats in it and clean it a bit.... if it still persist after that..... Jeepers those Dolmar guys may be right......... It must be replaced with a red saw???? :jawdrop:
could easily be a minor L & idle screw carb adjustment....

Good luck

I wouldn't be surprised if your choke flap was not closing off the intake properly. I would guess the flap or the parts that operate it are slightly distorted. I have had some that did not close quite enough due to minor wear or the plastic being slightly distorted. If your flap has a hole made in the middle you could try plugging it with a little dab of silicone gasket maker to block off more air. Make sure its clean and dry so the silicone sticks.
If your choke parts dont look good they may need replaced. I thinkyour choke is in the air filter and some times the filter is wore where the flaps shaft pivots. Some of the new assymblies seem to work better then others to me. Any way if you do not see any major defects in those parts I would try plugging the little hole and see if that makes it pop off in fewer pulls. Make sure you move it off choke to the start position after it pops to fire it up. If it doesn't stay running choke it again until it pops again and move it to start again.When its very cold it wouldn't be unusual to have to do it a couple times. If it is difficult to get going still you probably need your carb adjusted richer.

If it is an "Easy-start" version, they are known to be easily flooded.

Which ever version it is, I would open the choke at the faintest sign that it wants to start.

It could also be worth trying to open the choke after 3-4 pulls anyway - "pop" or no "pop".

Last edited:
Oh yeah.,,, Saw troll & bushwacker are right The choke flap not opening enough would cause flooding as well,,, easy to check,,, remove air filter cover and air filter and try te starting routine and observe each step, all the way down (on choke) flap should be completly closed, one click up completely open................. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

choke

I found that on my new 570 husky I had to open choke after the first pull or it would go into a flood condition and i'd have to pull it a lot to get it to start.
This is on that nice new saw your dude bought for you ,Right?

It's a good idea to check your choke operation, but in the case of the 021/MS210 it's built into the carb, not the airfilter, and rarely gives probems.

Latest posts

Back