Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5000 p&c

204372-1024111527-jpg

Are you saying this is a 5000 piston? The cylinder is, but the piston is from I believe a 44mm S50. I have a bunch of the 500/5000/ 490/590 and 325's. I'm positive it's not one of them.

No it's not, sorry the pictures got messed up, the 5000 piston is in the picture on the bottom of the post in the attached photo section.
This is a P70

P&c

I try to pick up any NOS parts whenever I can.

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

Here are a couple NOS 5000+ cylinders.

IMG_4222.jpg

This is a NOS 5500/325 piston kit.

If you ever need to turn loose of that pp325 piston get ahold of me!!!! I am working a deal for a used one right now. Nice cylinders.
Question???? do either of your cylinders have a NON oval intake opening on the piston side. Mine is tapered sider on both sides and is larger that the ones on my saws.
Also I see that your part # is for the type 2 piston, do you know what a type 1 looks like. I found NOS type 2 piston that aren't very $$$ but I have a type 1 pre chain brake, any ideas???? I hope the new ones aren't superceeded full skirt 55 pistons.
Duane

Last edited:
If you ever need to turn loose of that pp325 piston get ahold of me!!!! I am working a deal for a used one right now. Nice cylinders.
Question???? do either of your cylinders have a NON oval intake opening on the piston side. Mine is tapered sider on both sides and is larger that the ones on my saws.
Also I see that your part # is for the type 2 piston, do you know what a type 1 looks like. I found NOS type 2 piston that aren't very $$$ but I have a type 1 pre chain brake, any ideas???? I hope the new ones aren't superceeded full skirt 55 pistons.
Duane

The intake openings vary quite a bit. I'm not exactly sure what your asking, so I took pics of a few of my cylinders to compare. I have two 325's. One is a type one and the other is a type 2. However the type 2 just had an NOS top end put on it when I bought it. The type one pistons look identical to the one I pictured earlier with the type 2 number. I had heard they made an open port 325, this is what I thought was the type 2, along with the brake. I'm not sure why they changed it. The 55 pistons still available are the open port style, solid piston. The 44/46mm Husky cylinders that most people think are the same as the 5000 cylinders... are not the same. The 5000 cylinders have a smaller combustion chamber and better timing numbers than the Husky jugs.

Another difference is with the 590's. The first one I bought had a windowed piston, but it was not a full circle piston like the 5000's. It was like the 325 piston in the pic earlier. The cylinder looked exactly like the 5000, but 45mm. The second one I bought had a 45mm full circle windowed piston, and the transfers were cut on the jug. This style is the norm for the 590's, I've talked to several other 590 owners and they all said their cylinders were also cut and had a full circle piston. I'm not sure what the deal was with the 1st 590, but it's the only one I've seen like it. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/167487.htm

Here are the 5000 cylinder pics, the last one is a 590.

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

5000 cylinder issues

THANKS SO MUCH ARROWHEAD!!!!

You answered all my questions and concerns to a "T", great pictures!!!!!!
I see the intake ports vary but a couple of yours are like mine, and you say type 1 and type 2 325 pistons look the same as I thought, any chance the compression height been checked as the same? is there a dome at all? You seem to be a wealth of knowledge on these I figured a few more questions will keep this thread going.
I have a nice type 1 325 but the pistons scored a little more than I like and new type 2 are $60.00 ok price but I'm workin a deal for a used type 1 too for half that. and I hate it when I buy something thats not right.
I agree 55 cylinders are not as strong!!! Partners have alot more compression and timing.

Thanks. ModifiedMark got me started on these Partners, reading his input on these saws, then running a couple at a GTG. It quickly became an obsession!! LOL

No domes on any. I think I have the top off one of the 325's, I was going to port it, just never had time yet. I'll measure the compression distance. I'm betting they are the same though. What part number do you have for a type 1 piston?

P-55

Hello I have a partner p-55 I bought last year, Had it running but lateley it has not wanted to start, tried starting fluid, nothing have fire to the plug. Checked compression and it was 119 so I pulled the cylinder and everthing looked good no scoring, actually the piston looked real good for such a old saw. here are some pictures tell me what you think. ?

Looks good to me. The comp is low, but it should still fire. Is the spark a good blue color? Do you get good spark when you pull the rope at a medium speed, or only very fast? If you have good spark, and it won't fire, check the flywheel key, it could be partially sheared. I've seen that a few times.

While it's apart I'd scuff the inside of the cylinder with red or green Scotch Brite, then install a new set of rings. I've bought many times from this guy, great seller. It takes about a week to get, he's from Greece. Piston Ring Set fit PARTNER K 16, F55, F 55A 55 A, P 55 | eBay

As Arrowhead said, put a set of rings in the saw while you have it apart. Should pick the compression up a little.
Regarding spark, just pull the flywheel and make sure the keyway is aligned. I had one with a sheared key that allowed the flywheel to move a little advancing the saw about 20 degrees. When it did fire it nearly ripped my arm off!

I had a similar problem when I rebuilt a Partner 500 this week with a flywheel that had two keyways, 90 degrees apart.
I bought it as not going but was surprised to find it had perfect spark and a like new top end. I renewed the fuel lines and was even more surprised when it did not fire after half a dozen pulls.
So that is when I pulled the flywheel and found the two keyways. I tried it on the other one and it now runs like a charm.

Al.

Thanks. ModifiedMark got me started on these Partners, reading his input on these saws, then running a couple at a GTG. It quickly became an obsession!! LOL

No domes on any. I think I have the top off one of the 325's, I was going to port it, just never had time yet. I'll measure the compression distance. I'm betting they are the same though. What part number do you have for a type 1 piston?

Sure Ed, blame me!

I guess I did let you run my 325 didnt I? That saw rocks as does my pride and joy the 5500H.

Truthfully I dont know all that much about these, your the one with the hands on lately with them and I'm learning from you.

I didnt look it up and I dont think I have a 325 type 2 IPL anyway but I was surprised to see that type 2 piston being windowed as like I said I have been "told" a Type 2 was a open port. That just might be wrong is it not?

Yep! It's all your fault. After running your 325 and a couple 500's the madness began. I'm looking forward to running your 5500H one day. That's as rare and awesome as they come. :rock:

I've thought for awhile that there was a very fine line between credit and blame .... I think tu=is is a situation where Ed is ACTUALLY giving Mark the credit!

Ed don't sound too unhappy ..... :yoyo:

I didnt look it up and I dont think I have a 325 type 2 IPL anyway but I was surprised to see that type 2 piston being windowed as like I said I have been "told" a Type 2 was a open port. That just might be wrong is it not?

That's what I thought also. The IPL's I have I thought were type 1's. The nos piston I have has the same numbers as on these IPL's. I'm willing to bet all 325 windowed pistons are the same, regardless of numbers. The piston kit numbers could have changed with something as simple as the circlip shape or design.

I've thought for awhile that there was a very fine line between credit and blame .... I think tu=is is a situation where Ed is ACTUALLY giving Mark the credit!

Ed don't sound too unhappy ..... :yoyo:

I give Mark the credit.... my wife gives him the blame. :biggrin:

Not for the $ aspect, but for the time I devote to the saws. :)

Credit is deserved

Well I give both you, all the credit as I'm learning alot real fast, and you both have the knowledge and parts to verify parts and issues.

Second: I too think the type 1 and 2 are the same,
Third: I think this thread and everyone on it is to blame!!!!for everything!!! I started with old school R series now I'm into pp325's, 490, not to mention my backburnered pp425/475/505/2077/2083.

Guess I'll tear into my pp325 to check some part# and differences.

Thanks ALL

Great, It can even be a Husky 40 for all i care, Don't care about looks either. I have a saw with good cylinder etc but someone took the covers off for some reason, I am missing an air filter too but its a foam one on this year (1984) so I'll just make one from a B&S filter.
What do you want for the covers???

I checked and I do have a recoil cover as well as a clutch cover, but there both bare covers. There yours for shipping if you want them. The recoil cover is new as a matter of fact.

partner 400 covers

I checked and I do have a recoil cover as well as a clutch cover, but there both bare covers. There yours for shipping if you want them. The recoil cover is new as a matter of fact.

I'll take them!!! you can PM the info too me and I'll shoot you a Payment for shipping, and anything else needed.

There bare but I'm sure I can find a 2040 2050 40 45 49 or something to rob parts from, at least there the right color!!!! the saw is nothing special but oh well its part of the collection.
I'd gladly trade you something for them too, but my parts bin is about empty, keep tradin for complete saws!! NO PARTS LEFT HARDLY but if you need something let me know I can keep an eye open.

thanks
Duane

I'll take them!!! you can PM the info too me and I'll shoot you a Payment for shipping, and anything else needed.

There bare but I'm sure I can find a 2040 2050 40 45 49 or something to rob parts from, at least there the right color!!!! the saw is nothing special but oh well its part of the collection.
I'd gladly trade you something for them too, but my parts bin is about empty, keep tradin for complete saws!! NO PARTS LEFT HARDLY but if you need something let me know I can keep an eye open.

thanks
Duane

No problem, PM is sent.

Glad to see someone used them.

P-55

Hello have two cylinders one on the right is from the p-55 one on the left is from a S-55 I didn't know they were different from each other. both are 55 cc, any one have any Idea why they they are different. I know the p-55 is a pro and S-55 a semi pro.

Back