Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got another Partner P100 in today. Its a non super that I have wanted so I have one of each of the 4 saws based on the P100.

This one had no spark. Tested the original coil on another saw and it was good. Hooked a Nova module up in place of the original Thyrister module and behold, lots of spark so I'm assuming that it should run like that.

I have always wondered if the Nova module would be a suitable replacement for the original and it seems it will be, just like I thought it would.

The saw needs some other small things and some sprucing up but I hope to have it running in the next day or two to try it out. In fact the whole coil/laminate would bolt on but the contour of the laminate would not match up with the bigger flywheel.

Looking at it I also think that a electronic coil/module from several other saws would work if swapped to the original Partner laminate.

For example I think a Poulan Micro coil would adapt right to it that way and would be easy to find.

I'd like to see what you do/did there Mark. I've 3 with the Thyristor and another with the Ignitron. Are you eliminating the secondary coil ( not sure of the module/coil language with respect to these two piece Thyristor). The high tension doesn't come off of the flywheel coil like a points coil. My current P100 Thyristor has been "tampered" with indicating there may have been an issue. Once I get the governor taken care of I can investigate further. There is an aftermarket 1 piece coil that claims to work in place of the Partner set up that also works for some JRed and Husky models?? Mixed reviews with respect to advanced timing issues from one fellow. And, pricey.

I've yet to swap coils onto cores etc., let alone use a Nova module.

I'd like to see what you do/did there Mark. I've 3 with the Thyristor and another with the Ignitron. Are you eliminating the secondary coil ( not sure of the module/coil language with respect to these two piece Thyristor). The high tension doesn't come off of the flywheel coil like a points coil. My current P100 Thyristor has been "tampered" with indicating there may have been an issue. Once I get the governor taken care of I can investigate further. There is an aftermarket 1 piece coil that claims to work in place of the Partner set up that also works for some JRed and Husky models?? Mixed reviews with respect to advanced timing issues from one fellow. And, pricey.

I've yet to swap coils onto cores etc., let alone use a Nova module.

Corey, never mind my use of the word Thyristor, I get things mixed up a lot. I meant to say Ignitron module, the regular 2 piece ign with the ign module under the handle.

I didn't know the P100 came with the Thyristor ign at least I never gave it a thought. Never seen one like that and the IPL's I have seen never showed it. Might be just the early ones?

I never messed with the Thyristor much so I'm not sure what would work with them and what wont, but I wouldn't be surprised if a one piece ign might be swapped onto the original laminate.

I found out the coil that was tried on this Ignitron saw was a Husky 49 which is about what I thought. For fun if I get time I may try to grind the end of the laminate to match the profile of the larger flywheel just to see if it would work, I'm thinking that it will. I also have a common Husky 55 coil to try as well and might also work, there the same on the later Partner cutoff saws if I remember right.

Just for info, I have had two PM1000 Mac's and they both have a one piece electronic coil/module that looks a lot like any other one piece unit. I'm certain it would bolt right on and run on the Partner.

Yep, my P100 must be early. It has the decompression button exactly like the R440T and the same ignition. Has the allowance in the clutch cover for the optional brake but was never setup with one.

Do you have any digital IPL's, literature/manuals etc for the series? I've only an original IPL that came with my R440T. I have not really found much in my searches.

I do have a complete OEM gasket and seals kit. I made scans of everything and they are dead on if you ever need them. Having said that, do you have any numbers for AM seals? I am not up to speed on cross-referencing yet. I leave that to Tim and others in the know;)

I do have some IPL's and manuals PM me a list of what your looking for exactly with a email address and I'll send them when I get some time.

I do have the AM seal numbers for the P100 saws. I have them in the shop still in there boxes and I need to get them written down. I ended up with extras from my 440T rebuild and plan on putting them in the P100 tomorrow hopefully. I'll get them written down then.

I would like a copy of the gasket scans. Making the case gasket for the 440 was a PITA but I'm not sure its the same as the P100.

I picked up a Skil 1632, which Acres equates to a F55, but in looking at the IPLs it appears to be an F65. This was sold as seized but I had a feeling that it might not be. So I gambled $30.00. The chain brake would probably fetch that if it was seized. Well my intuition was correct. It turned out the a coil retaining bolt under the FW had come loose stopping the FW and look like seized. P&C are pristine, it has a good 20" bar and chain, nice spike, and full AV so I'm supper happy with the deal. Just replaced the fuel line and filter and cleaned the carb. Going back together to see if it runs. The only down side is the aircleaner is shot, no more flocking, and they seem to be as common as rocking horse sh!t. I know, pics to follow!

My first toaster!

Lee, as far as the air filter goes, from the IPL it looks like it has a frame. I took a piece of hard felt (I think Michael's has it) and used that for an XL-76 filter. It works great. You might try picking up some or if you can't find it let me know and I'll mail you some. You could glue that onto the filter frame.

I was thinking of putting some filter material inside the frame but it is sealed and to demel it open might ruin it. Anyway I'll look for some felt like material to glue on or in.

Thanks for the in put.

Another thing that works well is using a piece of auto pleated air filter. Cut it out of the frame and pull it flat and glue it on.

Hey Tim,
Just to make sure that I have an F65 I measured the bore and came up with 48mm which is correct for the 65. So far got it to pop on prime. Seems I didn't do a very good job on the carb. It pumps fuel up the the carb but nothing getting through. Try again tonight. One thing I notice is there doesn't seem to be any tank breather, as shown in the IPL. OP never said anything about it not running well before it "seized".

Dang now I got one more thing to do. I have a 1632 and thought it was pretty dang strong for a 55. Guess I should measure the bore also.

If it is a 65 that would be a trend and I wouldn't be surprised if Acres site is wrong. ..

Yep, my P100 must be early. It has the decompression button exactly like the R440T and the same ignition. Has the allowance in the clutch cover for the optional brake but was never setup with one.

Do you have any digital IPL's, literature/manuals etc for the series? I've only an original IPL that came with my R440T. I have not really found much in my searches.

I do have a complete OEM gasket and seals kit. I made scans of everything and they are dead on if you ever need them. Having said that, do you have any numbers for AM seals? I am not up to speed on cross-referencing yet. I leave that to Tim and others in the know;)

My small contribution;

Attachments

• P 100 ipl.pdf
    466.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P 100 Super ipl.pdf
    288.1 KB · Views: 4
Dang now I got one more thing to do. I have a 1632 and thought it was pretty dang strong for a 55. Guess I should measure the bore also.

If it is a 65 that would be a trend and I wouldn't be surprised if Acres site is wrong. ..

As you surely know, the top end on that partiular saw may of course not be the original...

Hey Tim,
Just to make sure that I have an F65 I measured the bore and came up with 48mm which is correct for the 65. So far got it to pop on prime. Seems I didn't do a very good job on the carb. It pumps fuel up the the carb but nothing getting through. Try again tonight. One thing I notice is there doesn't seem to be any tank breather, as shown in the IPL. OP never said anything about it not running well before it "seized".

If you're pumping the gas up and no fuel is getting through you likely have a stuck metering needle. I've had that happen sometimes. Pull the cover and take out the needle and clean it up and make sure it's not sticking down. If you put a new kit in it, try the old needle if it still sticks. Failing that give the carb a good soak in Sea Foam.

As far as the tank vent goes, is there no hole in the tank as it shows on the IPL?

Latest posts

Back